Where can we buy kersene oil for heating?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ang in AZ, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Ang in AZ

Ang in AZ Active Member

Hi
    we bought a kersene heater. It works great but we have only been able to find 5 gal. for about $30. bucks. at Ace hardware and homedepot for $33. any other ideas. We live in Arizona White Mountains which is close to New mexico. I would drive for a real good price.

Thanks, Ang In Az

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Around here in NC, K1-Kerosene is sold at most gas stations....couple bucks a gallon.

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Look in the yellow pages under "Oils" and find a local fuel distributor. They can tell you if it's sold locally. It is all over the place here......but that may vary from region to region.

You might watch closeouts in the spring also......I used to wonder who the heck would pay those prices for a 5 gallon can at Home Depot when you could buy it down the street with your own can for 1.50-2 bucks/gal ( this was a few years ago ). Then one spring day I walk into HD and they have a stack of those cans on closeout for 4.97 PER CAN......right at a buck a gallon. I bought all 35 of 'em...ahahahahaaa.....and that fills a longbed pickup truck UP let me tell ya.

BTW....I used to live in Springerville !

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check the truck stops, they usually have a spare tank around somewhere. Locally the price is close to $3.00 per gallon, propane is cheaper for heat.

5. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Here on the mountain kerosene is not a big heating fuel. Ace and HD are national stores and would only carry it for small heaters or lighting purposes. There is a good country hardware store in Reserve, NM that might have it in bulk also you might check around Springerville as it is a little more ranch orientated town and not 'vacation home' like the places around the HD. Also check the first service station on the right after the stop light going east up the hill on US 60.

6. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I bought some today at a gas station. I paid $2.99 a gallon.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well at that rate [5 gal per 30 bucks] you didnt get much of a deal.

you could use propane and swap out 20lb bottles far cheaper.

8. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

You might give Casey's in WInslow a try. They probably don't carry it in bulk quantities, but being Winslow is so near the res might know who does.

9. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I buy kerosene for my 275 gallon tank and it is delivered just like fuel oil. Of course, you need a tank!

10. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

locally kerosene is $3.50 a gal. I only use it when i have to.

11. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

I just bought 2 gal from hardware store tonight. Paid way too much but I only use it for the Aladdins. Gotta consider how much it costs to drive around to get the best deal. Sometimes not worth it.

Robert

12. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

We can get it here from the local farmers co-op. I haven't bought any lately so I haven't a clue on the price. They have a large tank and you fill your own containers.

13. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Blue gecko is right, farm supply co-ops are a great place. You might check with anyplace that delivers fuel in bulk , here in Il there is uasually 1 station in each town that has it ,runs about 4 bucks a gallon at them but the FS here sells it in bulk at their place for 3 bucks a gallon.
    Ask your neighbors!!!