Where can I get telephone poles?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by willdorr, Feb 2, 2005.

1. willdorr

willdorr New Member

Hi there.

I live in Maine and I'm hoping to build a pole-foundation house. Does anyone know were I can find telephone poles in New England?

Thanks,

Bill

2. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

contact your local REA

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If you're not far from the coast try one of the lumber yards that sells to contractors that build docks and bulkheads. They should have marine spec. CCA treated poles. Those will probably outlast tlephone poles.

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

My DH is a lineman with our local utility company - one thing you might try is talking to the crew next time you see them out working. NOT while they're busy working :eek: but when you see them on the break or having lunch. OR, you might go by the local utility office and talk to the guys there. Depending on the area, some of the utilities will let you have them or sell them cheaply.

BTW - just a very small item but can we all say "utility poles" or "power poles"? :D 9 times out of 10, the phone lines are underground or the phone co. is leasing the poles from the utility. While I'm on my soapbox (in a very loving manner!!) please, please, please do not staple or nail any signs to 'power' poles. When the men are climbing those poles and they hit a staple with their hooks, they can cut out and fall down the length of the pole, resulting in serious injuries. :waa: Thanks so much!! :dance:

Nance