Where can I get plants or seeds: Asian Basil

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by beaublo, Jun 24, 2005.

1. beaublo

beaublo Member

I am crazy about eatting and smelling this stuff! I will never eat regular grocery store Basil again (and I am 1/2 Italian :rolleyes: )

I cook alot of asian meals, but hate driving city traffic to keep buying this herb every couple days....I do not know what its scientific name is, nor, where to buy the plants or seeds to grow my own.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Have lovely balcony with full sun ...waiting to grow this.

Also, what is the best way to keep herb in fridge for several days?

Thanks Beaublo

2. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thai basil has purple flowers and stems - is that the kind you mean? I've seen seed packets in catalogs, garden stores, and home improvement stores. It grows well when direct seeded so long as the weather is warm.

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I have some seed that is 3 year old seed in packets I saved. It has been stored well out of (sunlight and moisture) and some seed will germinate but not all of it. It is called "Thai Basil" and is spicier than regular basil. I had a very large herb garden in Calif and moved to MS about 2 years ago and havent planted any of that yet. That's why it's 3 year old seed. I will have to do inventory on how many seed packets I have and if there are any extra available and will PM you with information tomorrow.

I always picked fresh from the garden when I wanted and never tried refrigerating any of the herbs. I would guess it would be stored the same as one would do a lettuce or a spinach, not too close to the freezer more below it.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Probably Reicters(sp) in Canada. They had a piece about them on the HGTV station several days ago. They put out a nice catalog.

5. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I still have seeds avail. Beaublo hasn't posted yet since I PM'd my address. If anyone else needs, PM me and we can do a seed swap or something.