Where can I get milk botte caps?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by buspete, Jun 10, 2006.

1. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

I've got a bunch of old square quart glass milk bottles that have different dairy names and logos on them. I've been trying to come up with a way of storing various dried grains, beans etc. along the back of the countertop so as not to have to deal with big plastic bags everytime I cook. I was thinking that the milk bottles would do the trick and look cool besides, but I don't know where to find caps for the bottles nowadays.

I remember that the milk came with a slightly reuseable foil/paper cap that had a little cardboard disk in the middle and that the little disks became somewhat collectable. We used to pull off the foil cap and use a reuseable plastic cover that you could get at the dollar stores.

Anyone have any ideas about how to cap the bottles for my intended use?

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

have you concidered big flat corks?

3. buspete

Corks might be easier to find. I've thought about just tying some paper of something over the top, but then I'd have to deal with retying the string or whatever in the middle of trying to cook.

The openings are probably 1 1/2" wide.

I'll have to measure one and see if I can find some big corks at the hardware store.

I've been using a lot of grains lately; wild rice, cracked wheat, oats, hominy, barley etc. and I get them in bulk, so it can be kind of a pain to deal with the big bags they come in when I'm just trying to get breakfast going.

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I've got thousands of the safety seal plastic caps for standard milk bottles.
    Brand new, sanitized...if you need a few hundred or more info PM me or email @ reed4freedom@bellsouth.net

5. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

I love this site. Where else would you find someone with thousands of bottle caps?
    Chas, in awe of people and their foibles, up here in Maine.

6. buspete

My hero!

I'll send an email...

This forum is an amazing place isn't it? There's not a topic a person can't have a conversation about or get advice on! :goodjob:

7. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Gotcha covered!
    If ya need any more just hollar.
    Bill