Where can I get information on homesteading?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JonO, Sep 10, 2005.

1. JonO

JonO New Member

Hello,

My wife and I are looking into homesteading. Where can we get information on homesteading in the US and specific states? My searches seem to get a lot of garbage - but I did find this forum which looks extremely useful.

Thanks,
    JonO

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Your standing in the middle of the best source of info available anywhere, just start reading. We have over 30 forums that cover about anything you could want to ask about. Enter any subject into the search feature, there are thousands of subjects covered here.

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

You should also subscribe to Countryside magazine where this website originated. Their website is www.countrysidemag.com or 1-800-551-5691. They used to offer a free issue, not sure if they still do.

4. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Welcome To Homesteading Today JonO ! ! !

Right here on this forum.

Just start asking questions about anything,
    and some one will give you an answer.

Glad to have you here on Homesteading Today ! ! !

bumpus

5. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Welcome :goodjob: You have arrived! All the forums are super, all the people marvelous, very willing to help out with their knowledge/opinion :eek: ;) and the archives are there for research.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're asking specifically about "homesteading" the way it was done in history, the government no longer gives land away for free.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Actually the archives have not yet been reload after we changed the format last time, I miss them also.

8. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

What level of homesteading are you planning to get started at?

Bare land? no water? no house? what part of the country? hard summers or hard winters? animals or not? off grid? no septic?

read, read, read, and ask, ask, ask, there is someone here form every level.
    helping people like you is why this web site exists.

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

I don't know a WHOLE lot about homesteading (I like to think that my wife and I are about 10% there, LOL), just don't ask stuff like "I have a question?". ;)

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

in light of recent events i suggest you homestead in canada...

lol

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Regardless of where you live, or want to live, but want to know the 'spirit' of homesteading, you might want to keep a copy handy of the book "Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emory. It's chock full of practical homesteading type of advice and down to earth useful information.

12. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

I've heard this is good:

How to Find Your Ideal Country Home : A Comprehensive Guide
    by Gene GeRue

"It cautions against living near health hazards (which crop up all too often in unpopulated regions!) or too far from employment, and strongly recommends water and soil tests before buying."

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

www.unitedcountry.com specializes in....affordable..... properties. In other words, cheap ones. They sell in every state that I can think of, and their website is easy to use.

The really GOOD thing is that if they have found cheap properties in an area, there will be more because they do not underprice the properties. So, if you see an affordable property with them, check the area realtors.

Always look at the property before you buy it, The cheapest properties will probably have something wrong with them, but you might not care about the drawbacks. For instance, we got a bargain because city water was not yet available, and would not be available for 3 years.

That's OK, we spent most of our money to buy the land, We couldn't afford to build then anyways, so not having city water didn't matter to us.

Besides, there was a creek so I didn't have to carry water for the bees that I put out there.