Where can I find..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Aug 24, 2006.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Where can I get cocci treatments? Such as Albon, Sulmet. Do I just buy these at the vet or somewhere else...? Which cocci treatment do you all prefer? :shrug:

2. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

In the past I've used Sulfadimethoxine powder. You dissolve it in the goats' water. I've talked to other breeders that used Albon. I've never used it, but think it's an oral application and probably much easier. All De-cox medicines should be available at your local feed store.

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

The Sulmet you should be able to find at the feed store, and the Albon would be gotten from a vet. I've used the Sulmet, once, but never the Albon. So I don't have enough experience with it all to say what preference I have.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Here is what I use for Cocci treatment in my goats.. The Albon I got from my vet but the other 2 I ordered from a catloge I use Albon,Sulmet and Di-Methox Injection 40%..

But as I say everyone has their own opionons on stuff..

Good Luck..

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've had great success with the 12% Sulmet in a bottle labeled for poultry. When treating for cocci I drench it full strength; if using as a preventative I mix in water. The only time it wasn't effective I got a few Albon tabs from the vet. Sulmet is cheap too, the bottle lasts a long time and I get it at Jeffers.

6. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

By drench do you mean give it to it orally?

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have Chorid, and I use it the most. I also have Sulfadimethoxine cattle injectable. Chorid has become really expensive, luckly I have had mine.

8. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Are the dosages right on the label?

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I had 10 dairy babies I raised that had cocci sooo bad. It weakened them. I tried the corid, didn't do the trick.
    I got Sulmet 12% liquid at the Farm Store (Agway). It comes in a gallon bottle.

Here's the dosage, you won't find a dosage for goats anywhere but here.

You should give it for 5 days.

Day 1: 1 ml per 5 lb. (of goat weight)

Days 2-5: 1 ml per 10 lb. (of goat weight)

Give it to them orally. Use a syringe, with no needle of course. Put it far back in their mouths because it tastes really nasty. Some goats will ask for more, but some will give you a "look" while they keep smacking their mouths to get rid of the taste and others, the drama queens will scream and carry on as if you just poisoned them.
    After you squirt it in, hold their heads up and stroke their throat downwards until you hear or feel them swallow it, or you might end up wearing it. :)

This worked great, it will also help certain respiratory infections and e coli. You should not give this at the same time that they get fed milk, because it interferes with the medication. Also, give them probiotics about an hour after you medicate them, because this will destroy their good bacteria as well as the cocci.

10. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

you said you got it at Jeffers, but I can't seem to find it...

11. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Sulmet can easily be found at any store that sells chicken supplies. They also sell it in the calf supplies. Any feedstore in our area sells it. I have never had to order it in. If you don't see it with the chicken supplies, ask at the counter. They *should* sell it.

13. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I looked in the feedstore and I didn't find it. I might try to get it off of jeffers.

For the sulmet drinking water solution, do you orally administer it or add it to water?

14. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

15. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

When treating a cocci case never mix it in water - it takes a good dose of the stuff to kick the overload. Just draw it up in a syringe (w/out needle!) and plunge it into their mouth. I give it twice a day. After the first day you half the dosage. For a really tough case I treat seven days.