Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't much on the internet, so I guess I am looking at the wrong sites, hope you can help. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
Google Earth

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Not sure about the internet, but any local dairy farmer can tell you the latitude and longitude of their milkhouse door. They're printed on our licenses.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
www.epodunk.com

The site gives complete profiles of communities to include population data, average income, percentage of gay population, number of violent crimes per year, housing info, average rent, number of kids, cars, college graduates, industries, mavies made there, famous people, etc.

And YES, they give you the latitude and longitude!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
As anniew stated about her weather site the one I use gives it also.

http://www.wunderground.com When there enter your hometown and the latitude and longitude will be toward the top right.

You may use city, state or simply fill the search box with your zip code. Search box toward top left.

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
Windy in Kansas said:
As anniew stated about her weather site the one I use gives it also.

http://www.wunderground.com When there enter your hometown and the latitude and longitude will be toward the top right.

You may use city, state or simply fill the search box with your zip code. Search box toward top left.
This is the fastest way I know of, too. Just enter the name of your town, hit return, and the next page will have the latitude and longitude....as well as, the weather and 7-day forecast.

·
Registered
415 Posts
A cool and handy thing about Google Earth is that your cursor, as it moves around the page, gives lat/long positions for what you are pointing at. If you are looking with significant magnification you can find fairly precise readings. I guess it depends on how fine a hair you're looking to split and how far you are from your town.

·
Chief cook & weed puller
5,681 Posts
What Cabin Fever said. I was making a map with large and small towns across eastern South Dakota, and that was the easiest way to figure it out. Sometimes it might be the long & lat & elevation of the airport.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Another vote for Weather Underground. Also gives elevation, which has been very handy for determining canning times and pressures as we have moved to new places.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts