Where can I find Olallieberry plants/canes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Newcountryrose, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Newcountryrose

Newcountryrose Wannabe Homesteader <><

I have searched the net high and low and have not found any company selling these berry plants. :(

Anybody know of any source for them? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I had to really search for this.

Olallie:

Developed in Oregon, But produces extremely well in California where the lack of day length and cold limit the productivity of some blackberries. Large, shiny, firm black berries. Sweet with some wild blackberry flavor. Vigorous and productive trailing thorny canes. Ripens in July. Good for fresh eating, jams and freezing.

Weeks Berry Nursery has them. They're listed under blackberries. http://www.weeksberry.com/

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Olallieberries are grown commercially along the coast in both San Luis Obispo county and the Watsonville area (I think that's Santa Cruz but might be Monterey county). Come springtime, it's pretty easy to buy olallie vines in all the nurseries in SLO. Weeks Berry Nursery up in Oregon is wholesale only however they may be able to give you a lead. If you can't find a source before springtime, please pm me and I will have my sister in SLO (who works for the post office) send you some.

They make terrific pies and jams. If you haven't had them before, they are very similar to boysenberries.

I've seen them in mail order/online catalogs, I've just got to remember which ones!
    BW

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I knew if I went scouting around San Luis Obispo county nurseries I could find them for you. Tree of Antiquity in Paso Robles (the north end of SLO county) sells Olallieberry vines. They are a wonderful nursery - do explore their heirloom fruit trees too.

Here's their website, even took you straight to the berry page!
    http://www.treesofantiquity.com/berries.html

Oh I can almost taste that olallieberry pie right now!
    BW

5. Newcountryrose

Newcountryrose Wannabe Homesteader <><

OMG you guys! Thanks so much!! That is the best berry I have ever had and would love to grow these! Off to order them now! :happy: