Homesteading Forum banner

Where are all of the larger breeds?

1491 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  DayBird
What is it with all of these miniature rabbits for sale? Doesn't anybody raise a normal sized Rex or Lop or any of the other large breeds besides the Californias and the New Zealands?

I've been searching for rabbits in my local area and there seems to be a glut of mini rabbits but the suckers aren't big enough to bother butchering.

What gives?

I've tried checking some of the local shelters and they are all 'no kill', 'no breeding' shelters.
1 - 1 of 21 Posts
breezynosacek said:
What is it with all of these miniature rabbits for sale? Doesn't anybody raise a normal sized Rex or Lop or any of the other large breeds besides the Californias and the New Zealands?

I've been searching for rabbits in my local area and there seems to be a glut of mini rabbits but the suckers aren't big enough to bother butchering.

What gives?

I've tried checking some of the local shelters and they are all 'no kill', 'no breeding' shelters.
I raise Flemish Giants and the kids show the kits for 4H...
they are more than a 10 pound monster bunny... my daughter's reserve champion rabbit is over 20 pounds and still lean and growing...
if you like large... I strongly recomend these, BUT find a good breeder... the lesser rabbits don't get as big and can have health and personality troubles.
1 - 1 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.