Where and How do dogs find fleas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by baysidebunny, May 6, 2005.

1. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

I have a pug who has recently picked up fleas..
    Within the last week, I have shampood him 3 times with Harts Flea and Tick shampoo. He wears a flea collar now as well.

It's not helping. :bash:

My boss told me that he used to have a pug many years ago and it had the same problem. He said the breed just attracts fleas for some reason.

My question is, where is he getting them?
    I live in the country with 3 acres of field around me. Is he picking them up in the tall grass? I sometimes let him run. There are 2 labs next door he sometimes goes over to play with and I have a St Bernard/Collie mix who doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Any response appreciated.

Thanx

2. poppy

poppy Guest

I think they get them at flea markets. :)

3. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a dog that goes outside, you'll have a dog that gets fleas. Some dogs seem to attract them more than others...sort of like my daughter who seems to attract mosquitos much more than I do! You could try something like Advantage which is applied monthly, it works fairly well, although I don't know of any product which will keep your pet 100% flea-free. You could also try a flea-dip: get it at a pet store, mix it in a bucket of water and sponge it on your dog after a flea-shampoo. Lastly, try to avoid shampooing often, it dries out your dog's skin.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Sprinkle a small bit of garlic powder in the dogs food, that repels fleas. Flea infestation in a home is cured by placeing a wide bowl of water under a night light, the fleas have need of water to survive and leave the dog to find it, the night light attracts them, they jump at the light and fall in and drown.

5. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Fleas are attracted to dogs and cats with a lowered immune system. What are you feeding them? If you are feeding a species apropriate diet [raw] you will see a hufge diffrence. My dogs have been completley raw feed for over 3 years and do not get fleas. They have the run of our property as well. Things like advantage is a bandaid fix. It is not getting to the heart of the issue, i.e. a week immune sysytem from feeding commercial dog and cat foods filled with grains that a carnivore does not need.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

In Florida, fleas are a year round pest. If your dog has fleas, your home has them and your yard has them. Simply treating your dog will not take care of the problem. Make a day for yourself when you can treat everything. Spray your yard with a flea killer. Spray all the lawn front and back, your wood fences, gates, dog house, tree bases, gardens and a perimeter buffer between your yard and the neighbors'. Then go inside and wash the dog's bedding with borax, wash any bedding including yours, that the dog comes in contact with and sprinkle borax all over the carpets. Or you can use a flea bomb and leave the house if that isn't too complicated. Then - that same day- bathe your dogs and cats with Adam's flea shampoo or something that is a little better than Hartz. I guarantee your other dog has fleas if your pug has them. He may not have them as bad, but he has them. Finally, put the pug on Advantage or Frontline for a few months. That should eradicate them. If he continues to attract fleas afterward, adding garlic to his food will help as will improving his diet as Tracy mentioned.

7. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hartz flea shampoo is a joke...has been for years. Wash your dog LONG enough with it and it WILL get rid of fleas...they'll either drown or get old and die :haha:

Anything from the Lambert Kay Labs is good...works like it's supposed to. You have to read the label though. And I know the Adams flea sprays are good.

I have four dogs and seldom have fleas mainly because neighbors on both sides of me do not have animals. However, fleaas up every now and then, maybe because of stray dogs, or some place we visited. I use Frontline and like it because I don't have to use it EVERY month, although I can if fleas are bad. You can go as long as using it every three months if your fleas are NOT bad, but to be effective against ticks, you must use monthly.

Mon

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

ANYTHING made by Hartz is a joke, not just the flea shampoo. Do not purchase the Hartz or Zodiac or whatever flea drops from Wal-Mart, etc.-you will not be happy. Flea shampoos can work, but you have to understand they have NO residual effect. They may kill the fleas on the animal at that time, but as soon as the dogs is rinsed off more fleas will jump on and recolonize the pet. Hope you are able to find a solution that is acceptable for you and your dog!

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Why do healthy wild animals get ticks, fleas and lice?

10. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Especially don't buy their products for cats! Many cats have deathly allergic reactions to their spot-on product. If you do a google search you'll turn up quite a few cases. I know the post was originally about dogs but this is imperative for people to know! This product has stayed on the market for years despite this and I just can't believe that their other products can be that great if they allow such a dangerous one to remain in production. All the over-the-counter spot-ons are iffy and most of the shampoos just don't work.

A healthy diet goes a long way towards a healthy animal, but even healthy animals get fleas. Natural remedies will lower your flea population to a more tolerable level. For complete eradication, the only products I've seen that completely work are Advantage, Frontline and Advantix. Occasionally one of them will not work for a certain animal, but switching to a different one generally does the trick. It's rare but it happens.

11. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

The "TopSpot" type of product that you apply to the back of your dogs neck once a month during the flea producing time of year ( basically any time it isn't freezing out ) works well for us.

The fleas live in the grass and soil outdoors, and can come in on your shoes or clothing or on your pets. They are attracted to cats and dogs due to the higher body temperature vs humans ( at least that is what I have been told and read ). The topspot products kill the fleas when they bite your pet ( or render the flea infertile ) so after a bit of time you either have all sterile fleas or no fleas at all. Fleas don't have a long lifecycle so if you stop them reproducing shortly afterwards they are gone.

When I had problems before I tried some of the remedies mentioned here, spraying the house and yard, fogging the house, etc. The only thing that worked was the topspot type product which cured the problem within just a few days.

12. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Since you're warning about cat reactions (a VERY good idea) remember that Advantix (not Advantage) can kill cats, too. Cats are very sensitve to pyrethrins.

13. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Indeedy, although that product is not intended for cats and actually states dogs only

14. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Fleas love all dogs. Dogs can pick up fleas everywhere.

Fleas are very easy to spot on a pug or any other short haired small dog. The small dog sits on your lap, you look down and boom! there's a flea! You may think the Collie mix next door doesn't have fleas, but you gotta remember that dog has a lot more hair than your pug so you won't see them.

Flea Shampoo only kills the fleas that are on your dog at that moment. They don't do anything for the flea that hops on your dog the next day. Washing yor dog 3x a week with flea shampoo is just going to dry out your dogs skin.

Hartz brand is really cheap and I wouldn't use it on any dog!

We use Frontline Plus on our 3 dogs. Frontline Plus goes on once a month and that's it. Our dogs don't get fleas and they don't get ticks (if you think fleas are gross, wait until Pugsy gets a tick!). They don't get skin problems from the fleas or the Frontline Plus.

It isn't cheap, but it works great and our pets stay healthy
    Deb
    in Wi

15. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the topicals applied to the dog, and have always had good results with Adams products used in the environment (house, yard, et al).

As mentioned earlier, fleas don't spend all their time on your pets: Most of the fleas' time is spent in your nooks and crannies (kick boards, carpets, etc.) mating and reproducing. Your dog is simply a meal on four furry wheels.

If you consistently keep after the parasites (and don't live in Florida) you'll be able to control those nasty little hoppers.

Oh. One more thing. You can't squish a flea like you can a regular bug. You gotta pinch 'em -- hard! -- between your fingernails. Nasty creatures... We hates them!

Pony!

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

If your dog has fleas you should have him checked for worms. Dogs get worms from ingesting fleas.

My dogs don't have fleas (we use Frontline Plus year round) but they do get worms from catching rats and other small animals in the wild which have fleas.

17. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

A Flea Powder

Times are tough and life's been hard
    Since I came North on a St. Bernard.
    This Northern winter freezes fleas.
    I dream of life back on the Keys.

The Northern fleas said, "You'll adapt.
    Get flea ear muffs and a stocking cap."
    I did, but came to realize:
    Flea boots are not made in my size.

It's bad in snow and frost and sleet,
    A flea can't flit with freezing feet.
    My mind, once just upon the paw,
    Now craves an early warming thaw.

This wind chill factor's not for fleas,
    I'm numb from drinking anti-freeze.
    My nose is red, my knees are blue.
    A Southern flea with Asian Flu.

Bad things, as good, come to an end.
    Now I'm a happy flea, my friend.
    So heat my grits and shut my mouth.
    I'm on a Schnauzer heading South.
    —Grandpa Tucker
    Copyright ©1998 by Bob Tucker

More? okay...

I hope that I shall never see
    A poem as ugly as a flea.

A flea whose hungry mouth is pressed
    Against my dog's large beastly chest;

A flea who sucks up blood all day,
    and jumps onto an itchy stray;

A flea that may in summer bear
    a nest of offspring in my pet's hair:

Beneath its legs a scab is lain
    My poor dog cannot complain.

Advantage™ is sold by folks like me,
    Why oh why did God make the flea?

-T. Savino

Encore, you say? Well allright...

Marke but this flea, and marke in this,
    How little that which thou deny'st me is;
    Me it suck'd first, and now sucks thee,
    And in this flea our two bloods mingled bee;
    Confesse it, this cannot be said
    A sinne, or shame, or losse of maidenhead,

Yet this enjoyes before it wooe,
    And pamper'd swells with one blood made of two,
    And this, alas, is more than wee would doe.

Oh stay, three lives in one flea spare,
    When we almost, nay more than maryed are.
    This flea is you and I, and this
    Our marriage bed, and marriage temple is;
    Though parents grudge, and you, w'are met,
    And cloysterd in these living walls of Jet.

Though use make thee apt to kill me,
    Let not to this, selfe murder added bee,
    And sacrilege, three sinnes in killing three.

Cruell and sodaine, has thou since
    Purpled thy naile, in blood of innocence?
    In what could this flea guilty bee,
    Except in that drop which it suckt from thee?
    Yet thou triumph'st, and saist that thou
    Find'st not thyself, nor mee the weaker now;

'Tis true, then learne how false, feares bee;
    Just so much honor, when thou yeeld'st to mee,
    Will wast, as this flea's death tooke life from thee.

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the fleas are always outside.

but yoiu have them now in the rugs and apolstry of your house.

they eat on the dog for a short time then hop off into the carpet to lay eggs and then wait for the 4 legged meal to come back.
    treating the dog is only a tiny bit of the cure, you have to cure the house.

boric acid dust worked into the carpets and apolstry, seven dust blown in every where else.

seven wont harm the dog, but boric acid may, thats why you dust the carpet, work it in real well and then vac the surface off.
    boric acid dust stays in the carpet fiber for years and kills the nymphs.

my dogs all die of old age, none have ever been effected by my dual dust cure.
    and I never get fleas in the houseeven if the cats outside end up infested and in need of a dip.

they cant live in my house, the carpets and apolstry are not flea-freindly. niether is any crack or crevace in the floor or walls.

all have some residual dust dow their on a fleas eye view.