When's the best time to exercise?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Jesus Saves, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

Is it better to exercise before or after breakfast. I am doing core secrets and wondered when is best. :shrug: Morning before homeschooling works best for me, but before or after you eat?
    Thanks!

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think it matters if it is before or after. Just put an hour between the two activities.

3. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

The best time to exercise is when you are awake.

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

depends on how much/intensity and your body. i find that in the early am, when i wake and go straight to the gym, if i eat an ounce of cheese and 5 saltine crackers, i have more stamina than when i don't but if i eat almost anything else, i can't do the intensity level, because of nausea. so i eat an ounce of chunk cheddar and 5 saltines on the way to the gym, about an 8 min drive, and sip water while i run. you need to try it both ways and see how your body reacts to each.

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the nausea is because any heavy food draws the blood to your tummy to digest the food. The saltines and a bit of cheese id an excellent snack! And, water is necessary too, and many forget to hydrate their bodies.

6. marinemomtatt

marinemomtatt Well-Known Member

A Trainer told me...."to burn fat, exercise on an empty stomach, to burn calories exercise any other time"..." exercise before lunch or dinner to jump-start the metabolism for digestion"

My Marine son runs before breakfast, pumps weights and uses elliptical trainer before lunch, and does crunches and pushups before dinner.

MMT

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

military members run before breakfast cause that's when they have PT. i did the same when i was in the army-but we did all the exercising before breakfast. and with 2 then 3 small children, exercising at any other time (like after work) was just not an option for me at that time.

the cheese protein gives me just enough fuel to get my muscles some extra energy-since i burn well over 200 calories every time i go to the gym, usually 300-400, it's not sitting long enough to do any harm, and if i can burn 400 after eating the cheese instead of 200 without eating it, i'm doing better to eat it. the cheese and crackers is 150 calories.

when the best time to work out is will be different for everyone. i do best in the am, but i'm starting to do some in the afternoons, too, so i can take the kids to the track and get them moving some more, too.