Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but the ammo prices!
My wife went to the range last, with one one my sons,to shoot her .380. So she took my handgun storage “briefcase”. Well I’m looking over the weekend and I’m 100% out of ANY .357 or .38 special rounds. I guess she wanted to shoot my .357 too!
With the political climate the way it is, it honestly makes me nervous to be out of anything. No gun shows coming up soon,in my area anyway. So looking online the best I could find was $90 for 50 rounds of .357 and 50 38 special. Add tax and shipping and it’s like 125!
But, when you’re out, you’re out. I couldn’t even find magnum rounds online anywhere in the spring and summer, so I guess it’s progress, just expensive!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I can walk into the shop here and get most any thing for 50$ a box
I shot a box of 30/30 and 308 and had to pay 90 bucks to get them back .
I have not bought ammo since 95 .
I have a ton of primers from 2000 and before 08
my buddys sister owned a range and he would bick up brass with a skid steer so I have plenty of brass .
And I would walk out at the end of gun shows with a cart full of 8lb jugs of powder .
I load a lot of 357m with 8lbs of h110

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I hear you. I used to enjoy spending summer afternoons plinking and shooting targets. I really want to spend quality time with my .30-30. Almost afraid to.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
I hear you. I used to enjoy spending summer afternoons plinking and shooting targets. I really want to spend quality time with my .30-30. Almost afraid to.
30-30 is pretty easy on brass if you have some cases already you can make them last a while

dies are back in stock Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 30-30 Winchester
unfortunately bullets , brass , powder and primers are not

·
Unapologetically me
21,485 Posts
Someday, the hoarders will decide they have enough overpriced ammo, the Democrats will be kicked to the curb and life will be normal again.
The panics, the insecurity, the doubt will be gone again.
Politics is what's wrong with this country.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
gas stores a month or up to 2 years with the right fuel additive

you have to have a canister to contain it , even a cheap canister is 15 dollars to hold 6 gallons it is big bulky and you don't want it in your closet cause it stinks and is very flammable

ammo you can make a crate that fits in your closet floor easily and store many thousands of rounds it takes minimal room it stores for the rest of your life easily in a climate controlled space

I was shooting 30 year old ammo the other day no noticeable difference from the same rifle 30 years ago haven't even moved the sights in 30 years still hits the same spot I expect no change in the next 30 years.

people have got to have more ammo in their possession than any other time in history they just have to or it is going into a black hole , but when you look at 1 lone box of your brand and load on the shelf you say , I have 25 dollars , I don't know if I have enough ammo.

there is a brand and load of slugs I shoot for deer , it was discontinued this year or last I have probably a few years worth I don't shoot very many of them 2 dollars a round was a good price , 2.50 or 3 is common. when they discontinue a load and your left finding a new one it costs money easily 50 dollars to find the new load then buy a supply of those costs more , the more you have stored the less often you need to look for a new load and re sight in

it makes sense to have a standard round for your family mine would be 308 for hunting although we hunt some slug only zones . all of the 308s in the family run the same load we stock enough of it that we never scramble a few weeks before deer season to find ammo.

a lot of people would buy a box a year of their hunting ammo shoot it up at sight in the next year , always bought the same thing probably never had more than 40 rounds of it at any one time

in todays world if you don't have ammo in your possession it may be weeks or months before you can buy any so the answer is make sure when you see it buy it so you have some

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but the ammo prices!
My wife went to the range last, with one one my sons,to shoot her .380. So she took my handgun storage “briefcase”. Well I’m looking over the weekend and I’m 100% out of ANY .357 or .38 special rounds. I guess she wanted to shoot my .357 too!
With the political climate the way it is, it honestly makes me nervous to be out of anything. No gun shows coming up soon,in my area anyway. So looking online the best I could find was $90 for 50 rounds of .357 and 50 38 special. Add tax and shipping and it’s like 125!
But, when you’re out, you’re out. I couldn’t even find magnum rounds online anywhere in the spring and summer, so I guess it’s progress, just expensive!
Check your PM messages.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
My uncle gave my brother a 25.06. I took the Remington 1100. He complained about not being able to find ammo for sale anywhere. I called the local gun store and they had two boxes. $90 later I didn't have to hear anything. He still owes me!!!

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
I saw .22 long rifle ammo a couple days ago at Walmart. They didn't have Stingers but they had several boxes of a decent varmint round.

Just like toilet paper or bar soap, when you open a package you buy a replacement. Or you get old and forgetful and buy another box because you can't remember if you have any left in stock.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
I saw .22 long rifle ammo a couple days ago at Walmart. They didn't have Stingers but they had several boxes of a decent varmint round.

Just like toilet paper or bar soap, when you open a package you buy a replacement. Or you get old and forgetful and buy another box because you can't remember if you have any left in stock.
that is when you open an ammo can that you wonder what is in it and find 5 bricks of 22lr you forgot you bought

if you can't remember if you have any you buy it again. cause could you have too much?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
We are becoming used to the new normal. "Ammo availability is pretty good", "Ammo prices are starting to come down", "There is a pretty good selection".

Scary stuff.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
was at farm and fleet today for a few minutes to look nothing Ineeded

they had

a whole bunch of 16ga bird shot I have seen more 16ga in the last 20 month than in probably my hole life , partially becuae you never noticed it before when there were stacks of 12 an 20 around it

in 12ga a little bit of 10 round boxes of turkey loads

a lot of WWB Winchester White box in 5.56 nato and 7.62 nato fmj
a few 40 and 45 self defense loads

a bunch of 350 legend half fmj and half hunting rounds

a little 243 and 7mm mag

some 300 blackout V-max

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I stopped and checked for ammo, at a gun store I have been shopping at for at least thirty years. I found out that a one hundred dollar bill will not buy three boxes of .308 Winchester.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Stopped at the local Cabela's over the weekend and they had .17, 22 LR, 22 WMR, 5.56, .223, .308, 7.62x51, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 350 legend, 300 BO, and a bunch of other calibers. I would say there were probably about 60k plus rounds of 5.56 (everything from 20 rd boxes to 150 rd boxes). There were 300 rd. buckets of 40 S&W, 100 rd and 50 rd boxes as well. Definitely a decent amount of ammo. AIM surplus has had a bunch of 9mm in stock as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We have a pretty fair assortment here locally , Runnings in particular. Lots of 12 ga 00 Buck not badly priced .
Primers are the real Issue and powders are rather spotty . It’s really good time to get in the reloading buy cases by the 500 shipped to your door as once fireds from ranges. Prices aren’t really bad at all. I just got some 38 and 40 Cal 500 each and it was like 80 bucks total.
The hassle is primers. You’ve got to be on the lookout all the time and grab everything you can because they usually won’t sell you more than 100 of each so you need to stockpile when you can.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts