Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,145 Posts
All you have to do is watch just a few minutes of America's Funniest Home Videos or go on Youtube to see that stupid exists everywhere. Not funny actually as it usually involves pain or humiliation but some people do enjoy watching that. Doing stupid things certainly existed back when I was young so nothing has changed. It is rather pathetic when it is older people doing stupid things as you wonder when they will have time left to learn better.

·
Registered
399 Posts
All you have to do is watch just a few minutes of America's Funniest Home Videos or go on Youtube to see that stupid exists everywhere. Not funny actually as it usually involves pain or humiliation but some people do enjoy watching that. Doing stupid things certainly existed back when I was young so nothing has changed. It is rather pathetic when it is older people doing stupid things as you wonder when they will have time left to learn better.
I think the bigger issue is that we don't let Darwin sort it out anymore

·
Registered
10,145 Posts
Actually we do let Darwin sort it out. Those who do stupid things exciting things or those who take crazy risks often pay with their bodies, minds and even lives. Fortunately a lot of people who do stupid things, especially when young, do survive to tell the tales and/or be a warning to their kids. I am certainly one of the lucky ones. Loved taking risks.

The reason so many young people do stupid things is much easier to understand now because we know why. Our brains do not fully develop that part which understands consequences until we grow into our mid 20s. Which is one reason why so many young people have always thought that going to war was exciting without fully understanding the risks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Actually we do let Darwin sort it out. Those who do stupid things exciting things or those who take crazy risks often pay with their bodies, minds and even lives. Fortunately a lot of people who do stupid things, especially when young, do survive to tell the tales and/or be a warning to their kids. I am certainly one of the lucky ones. Loved taking risks.

The reason so many young people do stupid things is much easier to understand now because we know why. Our brains do not fully develop that part which understands consequences until we grow into our mid 20s. Which is one reason why so many young people have always thought that going to war was exciting without fully understanding the risks.
I do agree with youngsters not comprehending consequences fully until they are older. Theu do to an extent, I mean they only burn themselves on the stove once before learning and ect.

As to letting Darwin sort it out.... no. There are idiot warning signs, for everything, everywhere. Labels on everything with warnings. Dangerous stuff fenced off. We've become a society where not even adults are expected to exercise a little common sense, this sort of nanny behavior only serves to ensure the stupidest survive and go on to breed more stupid.

·
Registered
10,145 Posts
I doubt that most people even read the warning labels or signs. Men of all ages and levels of intellect are known for never reading instructions. How many people get chased or trampled every year by animals in parks? They even have rangers nanny-ing them . How many people continue to throw their cigarette butts onto the ground or out of car windows. And how many climb over fences around dangerous sites? Often a warning or barrier is a challenge to people.

There are many people who do absolutely stupid, risky things when young who then grow up to be very important people in our lives and society. Thankfully they survived so this is survival of the fittest. I know several of these people including my own husband and BIL. And if you try to get older people to talk about their youth adventures there is clearly a lot of editing going on.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If everyone would just learn something from others mistakes! It can save pain and dollars...

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I do agree with youngsters not comprehending consequences fully until they are older. Theu do to an extent, I mean they only burn themselves on the stove once before learning and ect.

As to letting Darwin sort it out.... no. There are idiot warning signs, for everything, everywhere. Labels on everything with warnings. Dangerous stuff fenced off. We've become a society where not even adults are expected to exercise a little common sense, this sort of nanny behavior only serves to ensure the stupidest survive and go on to breed more stupid.
“I mean they only burn themselves on the stove once before learning and ect.”

That comment I believe is accurate. It shows that everyone can learn. It just takes some incentive to remember the lesson. The stove provided enough incentive. Unfortunately society seems to thing that kind of incentive is not appropriate. So we have a great many young ones get old enough to have more young ones that all are allowed to continually do stupid stuff because they do not have enough incentive to change their ways.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
When I was a Search and Rescue Deputy, I rescued the same family from the same location, three years in a row. There are always some people who just don't learn.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I recall after the horse video that there was a interview from one of the protesters about how the "police are training their horses to kick at protesters on command".
Most young people are so far removed from the farm animals and wild life that natural reactions by large animals they don't understand.
]

21 - 36 of 36 Posts