When will they eat the hay!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Nov 20, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

My little herd isn't touching the grass hay! The four have two acres to graze on and I have grass hay for them at all times but they don't touch unless it's wet out for the whole day. But of course if I give the alfalfa they attack it. I offer my milker four cups of pellets and my boer gets some pellets and a cup of grain... I wonder what the deal is or are they just guilting them into the good stuff.

CJ

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Be happy they arent eating it since it costs more than pasture LOL. They will eat more when the pastures stop growing this Winter.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

...and if they are like my goats they know if they wait a while they'll get the good stuff (alfalfa).

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

is the hay moldy? maybe something is wrong with the hay.

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If their tummies are full on alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay why would they want to scale down to plain ol' grass? Whenever I change hays it takes a few days for my goats to really scarf it down. If grass hay was all they had, they'd eventually eat it.

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

CJ, we basically live in the same climate/temperatures. My herd of 12 hit the fields each sunny day for hours, nibbleing on this and that. As you know nothings green around here and yet they continue to favor the fields. At the same time they are eating mixed grass hay without hesitation. Rainy days especially, no choice. Sounds like your girls have to many choices and alfalfa hay is worth waiting for. Hold back the alfalfa hay for a period of time and they should begin to love grass hay. Keep in mind goats can be stubborn and very food particular. I recently changed grains and one goat out of 12 refused to eat the stuff. After 10 days I gave in, and now she has her own bag of SPECIAL grain. Call me a little crazy, but this little doe is bred so I need to keep weight on her young frame. Otherwise she would still be going grainless until she conformed. Good luck with the hay situation, sometimes to many choices can cause backfires....Tennessee John

7. christij

I keep trying to hold out on giving them the alfalfa but Cassie the milk is PG and seems to hold out and act like she's so mistreated! I actually have some green to my fields still. I just worry about my two PG girls the two ND wheters benfit from Cassie stalling with them b/c she bullies my Boer!

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Have they had this hay before or is it totally new to them? last time I bought some hay that was not the best once I opened it. They would NOT eat it for anything. I ended up using it for bedding and bought all new hay. But if they have gree pasture they would MUCH rather have that. I bring my PG girls in to get a treat of grain every other day for now until they are farther along.

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

take away the alfafa and pellets and they will have no option but to eat the grass hay. They will hold out knowing you will give in and give them the good stuff.

10. christij

This is my first group of goats so they haven't had hay from this source before. It's fairly green, second cutting, soft hay.

11. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

why do you WANT them to eat the grass hay? unless alfalfa is soo hard to find and expencive where you are why make them eat what they dont really need? if you have pregnant and or milking does they NEED Alfalfa, its better for them and they WILL eat it.

Grass hay is better for cows and Horses Alfalfa is better for Goats

12. christij

Well, I have more grass hay than alfalfa. I was hoping to use the grass until Cassie is in milk again. Plus, since she's in with two whethers by her choice I worry about them eatting to much alfalfa that's the reason I put her on the stand and feed her the pellets to make sure I know what she is getting and less waste.

13. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

When you say green, do you mean the color green or hay that is not dried? Hay that is not dried can become moldy & make your goats sick, not to mention possible combustion & fire possibility.

Just what popped into my head when I read your post.
    HF

14. christij

It's got the color green in it.

15. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

alfalfa wont hurt the weathers at all, too much GRAIN could