When will they eat slop?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by quiverfull, Nov 14, 2004.

1. quiverfull

quiverfull Member

Well I now have 5 little piglets settled in and enjoying their new home. They are living in my large fenced garden (both woven wire and electric).

My next question to all you knowledgable folks is when will they start eating slop.. things like veggie trimmings and food scraps?

Mine are 7 weeks old and just only seem to be interested in the grain I have for them and in the weeds they are rooting up in the garden. I keep putting the veggie and food scraps in their trough but they ignore it. Is it just to soon for this?

Crystal

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They are plenty old enough now. Maybe the other stuff tastes better? They might like it better with maple syrup or honey on it. I don't think you can buy "Slop Helper"

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

In my very limited experience, they eat what they like best first, when they get hungry enough they'll eat what ever is left. I would give them the stuff they didn't like best, first. I would wait a little while, then they got the goodies.

4. Cindiloowho

Cindiloowho Active Member

Remember, what you feed them directly relates to how they smell. They should not have banana or potato peels. They are old enough to eat scraps, but make sure you don't feed them anything that isn't somewhat fresh. No raw meat. NO mold or rancid foods. A good thing to give them is thrift store breads and pastries, anything that is not moldy.

5. if i mix a bit of milk or warm water w/my pigs slop they will almost fight each other over it, no matter what it is. they probably just prefer their grain and roots to the scraps, but if you make it into a soupy mixture, im sure they will enjoy it.