When will they be born? Any bets?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dunroven, Nov 1, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a New Zealand that I bred back on 09/24/2005. She is just getting about to the size to pop! I thought surely to goodness by now she would have those babies. I know she is pregnant, cause I can feel them moving in there, but it sure looks like she is going to have 25 or 30 of them! LOL Why would she be waiting so long! Has anyone else had this happen? She is still eating and drinking just fine, not having any problems whatsoever, she moves in and out of her nestbox, etc.

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Holy Moses! If I'm counting right, that's 29 days ! ! ! NEVER had one go that long? Are you SURE you're feeling babies in there ? ? ? :eek:

NeHi Mama

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

OK if I'm counting right you bred on 9/24 she would be due 10/25 so 11/ 01 would be 38 days today ,,,, whew ! I had one doe who would drive me crazy by going to late day 33 - 34 once to early morning day 35 ,,

I have 'read' posts where some breeders have had does go to day 36 - 37 ,,

are you sure shes not just gotten fat ?? have you had her on restricted feed since you bred her ?? does will sometimes eat theirself fat if given unlimited feed after breeding (YOU anticipating a litter) and pigs out and dosen't produce a litter ,, then 'you' have to put her on a diet before rebreeding :bash:

Hope she has a live and thriving litter tonite ,,

4. dunroven

Yep, I cut back her feed along with everyone else a few weeks ago, she is receiving about 3/4 cup of food a day now. And I can feel babies moving in there, so I know there are babies. As a matter of fact, they are pushing out beside her ribs. This is what has shocked me so much. I thought maybe I may have just wrote the date down wrong on her cage card, so I came back and checked my calendar, which I keep at my desk, and nope! She's written down as bred on 09/24/2005, due approximately 10/23/2005. I'm really stunned with her. I just don't know what to do! Problem is, here, the vets don't have much information about dealing with rabbits and have told me that I am pretty much on my own. I hate that, but they are mostly cattle vets and there are 2 small animal vets, but that mainly pertains to dogs and cats. One laughingly told me she doesn't do goldfish! LOL.

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep watch and see.

5. nehimama

Oh, cripes. I meant 39 days. I can count - just can't type.

NeHi

6. nehimama

Anything yet? This must be one for the records book.

On a side note, DH & I used to raise mini donks. Their gestation can go anywhere from 11 - 13 months. We had a first-timer go 13 months & 2 weeks. I kept checking & rechecking the breeding dates, and thought I was losing my mind. Hubby and I didn't have much hair left when the jennet finally foaled - we kept tearing it all out! LOL!

NeHi Mama

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Lord I hate to think of the cost ,, but could / can you afford to take her to the vet for an x-ray ?? I know there's a 'shot' that can be given to induce labor ,, oxy - something ,,

altho lord knows how she would take the insult of the trip itsself ,,

if you're worried about loosing her ,, if maybe a big kit is stuck ?? I ' ve read that rabbits don't do surgeries 'well' ,, so even if you had a vet willing to try something (and if you can afford it) you might would lose her anyhow ,,

Hard decision :( I hope she has them naturaly soon ,,

8. dunroven

Nothing yet this morning. Man! I think I am just going to assume that somehow I got the dates wrong in both places, although it would be a stretch if I did that. She is fine health wise this morning, but her belly is so tight, I picked her up and felt her belly and she was huffing while I was doing it. I put her down and she was fine. I felt at least 3 good sized babies for sure, so I'm just going to have to have her and I both wait it out.

As stated before, none of the vets around here want to deal with rabbits, so that's kind of out. I'm not real worried about losing her at this point. I don't think she's in any kind of trouble. There is no mess like that in the nest box, just some urine and feces, which I cleaned out this morning and all was normal, so I guess we'll just play the waiting game.

9. nehimama

I'm all on pins & needles now. I HAVE to know how this turns out. I'll keep checking back. Wishing you and the mom-to-be good luck.

NeHi Mama

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Hey has ANYTHING happend, I am going to keep checking here as well. Good Luck. Well gotta go, bye.

11. dunroven

She was out of her nest box eating and drinking when I got out there. She just looks at me like, well, I don't know either! LOL! I'm just really stunned about it. I'll keep everyone posted the minute she has this litter.

Thanks!

12. nehimama

Goodness! Do you have any hair left, or have you torn it all out yet?

NeHi Mama

13. dunroven

I am just about totally bald. I think I have 3 hairs left. I'm saving them 1 for each day! Hopefully at the end of those 3 days either I'll have more hares, or I'll have more hairs! LOL!

14. Goat Freak

LOL, I hope that first you get the hares and then the hairs.

15. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

OOooo.... I hope she gives birth to a ton of large, healthy babies! That would be awesome... you could replace your whole herd with them, have a strain of rabbits that are ultra-productive!!!

Let us know who it goes...

16. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

you could try this. it works.
    pull fur from belly and sides
    let a few 10 day old bunnies suck on her for a few min.
    then put her with a buck not for the breeding but for the chace

she will have them in 4 hrs.

or just give her an injection of oxytocin the vets keep it for cows

17. dunroven

I might try pulling some fur,but I don't have any babies at all right now, which is why I am nervously awaiting this batch! I am just about sure though that the dates must have been wrong. I can't believe this could possibly happen.

18. Goat Freak

You could always try to milk her, I have NO idea though how small rabbit teats are. I do think that even if you could not have babies suck her, that the buck idea is a good one and might work regardless.

19. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

OK ,,, :baby04: ,,, We are all worried silly by now ,,, :p

parsley ,,, I've 'heard' helps start labor ,, but as you said ,, if 'somehow' you totally lost it and miswrote both dates wrong ,, you don't want to give that to her too early ,,,,

(and as a matter of fact this past breeding "I" did write 'both' dates wrong because I hadn't switched months on the calendar I was useing) :bash:

20. Robin183

Robin183 Member

How about Raspberry leaves? I think I read that helps. I hate be a downer but I had a doe go on very much like this and I finally just found her dead.