when will the price of fencing drop?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

A few years ago I could get a 100 foot roll of six foot tall field fence for $70. Now they want $120.

I guess it's because they're so heavy and gas costs more.

Anybody know why it is so expensive? Will the price go down any time soon? I need some field fence and am thinking that maybe I should try to put this off.

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

What kind of posts do you have? Just a wild thought but is the 3' any cheaper (it is alot cheaper around here) and if you have wood posts you could put two layers of 3'? Have no idea if this would work or not.

What are you keeping in? maybe 4 ft field fence with wires on top will do it?

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

'Bout anything made of steel has doubled in price in the last year. I just paid almost five bucks a stick for 1/2 EMT conduit!!!

Been my experience that stuff hardly ever goes back down in price once the shortage or whatever is over. Might as well pay the price, it's only going to go higher.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Bare is right, neither fencing nor wood is going to go down in price. You will be lucky if it remains where it is now. Steel is high due to demand from China. Fuel is also high. If steel and fuel go down, maybe fencing will too, but once manufacturers or middlemen see that people will pay a given price they dont lower it, just collect the added profits if their inputs go down in price.

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

All building supplies are in short supply because of Iraq.

Yvonne

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Try hitting the auctions. Doesn't everyone have some old rolls of fencing that just never got put up? They usually go for next to nothing.

Jena

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Don’t know about field fencing but when we tried to buy chicken wire in June we where told that they where pretty much out because a supplier/factory had gone out of business and the feed store couldn’t find another place to buy yet. Seems strange to me.

Fortunately they had the wire we needed.

8. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

Building supplies and anything made of metal, wood, cement etc.. is way up in price. Since people continue to buy it at the higher rates then they won't bring the prices back down. No reason to, unless they end up with a lot of inventory that they need to get rid of, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Prices will most likely go up even more since demand is going up also.

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

China has been buying all the scrap metal it can get its hands on. The price of all metals has gone through the roof. Combine that with the war and figure $120 is a good price

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

The building supply store and both co-ops have told me and husband that the price of fencing, and other building supplies, went up because of the price of gas....

11. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i keep hoping that the price of lumber and plywood will go down. but it probably won't. they only make so many trees anyway. quality of wooden goods clearly reflects that. far past time to find another source for renewable building materials.

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Ride it out if you can, the price will come down (aparantly none of these yahoos have priced TVs in the last 20 years)

13. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yahoo eh? Wonder how much steel is in the average TV?

Maybe it'll go down like the price of gas...no? Maybe food...yeah right.

Tell us there tin, what besides electronics has come down in price?

14. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

OSB which had been up around 18.00 last year was recently down around 11.00 before the Fla Hurricanes. Its now at about 13.00. They are commodities and they fluctuate with supply and demand.

Problem with wood is the da-n environmentalists won't let trees get harvested. Gas is high too because of the the Boutique fuel requirements. Its all a pile of bulldung.