When will she deliver?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Nov 25, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I have a nd that is pregnant. I am not sure how pregnant she is because when I got her the man said she was bred but did not know when. I have had her about 3 months. Anyway, her belly has gotten quite large, but no bagging up as yet. 3 days ago, I noticed some white goo from her vagina. She is eating and drinking just fine, want to lie around some but is walking fine too. The only thing I notice now it she is kind of humping herself in the very back and her tail is down. Her anus is sort of poking out rather than being tucked in under the tail. Went out this morning, and she is eating and drinking fine, but she stood there for the longest time just looking at me and the trotted off like normal, except she waddles and looks like a little mule. Other than that she seems fine. Any idea on how far along she is? Thanks.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Check her tail ligaments. In another thread from yesterday, there are great pictures. Some does, especially first freshners, don't bag up until they give birth, but she should have "some" udder. As for eating, I don't take that as a sign. I have kidding pens that are 6' X 6'. I was in one pen assisting a doe's birth, while the doe in the next pen watched and pigged out the entire time. When I stood up, done with doe number one, the next doe, with a mouthful of feed, let out a bawl, and it was then that I noticed her kid's head and feed sticking out.. she never stopped eating during the entire process, except to let out a bawl now and then. She barely stopped eating to lick her new offspring. I think she was pretty happy when I took him away to bottle feed. She could go back to eating undisturbed.

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Here's the thread with the pictures. This is the only reliable way (in addition to knowing when they're bred) to figure out when you're going to have kids. With my does, and they are lamanchas, when the ligaments go, I can expect kids in the next 12 -24 hours.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=152483

4. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I have ND's and they Goo, I mean goo THAT DRAGS on the ground behind them. They usually have 6-12 hours more when this happens

5. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

A white discharge usually starts 2-3 weeks prior to kidding. I'd say just over 4 months. Her bag should start filling out, although some does don't bag up until the day before, sometimes even after kidding. There's some good pics on that other thread.
    HF