Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly large flock, about 25 total, about half and half hens and roosters. My hens lay every single day, even when I take the eggs, they are laying in nests in the coop, and sitting on the eggs. In fact, one of my black Silkie hens popped out from under the coop yesterday morning with 6 tiny black chicks:)

I don't mind the laying, but would prefer not to be surprised again like that. I like being able to choose when I hatch, and to incubate them with a known time frame!

I have only had chickens for 9 months, but have had Guineas for longer and am more familiar with Guineas. Thanks in advance:)

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Some hens will slow down during winter, some will stop.
Mine just tend to slow down.

I have a skirt of chicken wire around the base of my Hen house, so they can't get under there.
Could you do that with your hen house?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some hens will slow down during winter, some will stop.
Mine just tend to slow down.

I have a skirt of chicken wire around the base of my Hen house, so they can't get under there.
Could you do that with your hen house?
Thanks bergere, I will just keep taking eggs away.

I will go ahead and close off the coop, it is pretty closed up underneath except for one corner, which is where the birds like to go in the heat of the day. I didn't realize the hen was not coming in at night though, so closed it will have to be! Silly birds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts