When will MIDNR come clean

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KRH, Dec 12, 2005.

1. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Last winter after years of swearing there were no wolves in the LP. A wolf was killed by a coyote hunter in northern lower Mich. Soon after the kill MIDNR states yes the are atleast three more known wolves in the LP.

Now after years of Cougar sightings by residents and denile of there presents by the MIDNR comes this.

STEVENSVILLE (NEWS 3) - A wildlife biologist has determined it was a cougar that viciously attacked a horse in Watervliet November 26th -- not a coyote as originally thought.

The horse was attacked November 26th on a farm in the Watervliet area. The 20-year-old gelding had to be put down the next day because its wounds were so severe.

"I've never seen anything quite like this," said the veterinarian Mark Johnson. "My initial thinking was that it probably would have been some kind of dog or coyote attack."

But after he thought about it for a few days and discussed it with his employees, he started to think differently. "It sort of came to us that really this might be more like that of a cougar attack or a feline attack as opposed to a canine," said Johnson.

The horse's corpse was exhumed Friday morning and examined in a Berrien County maintenance garage.

Dr. Patrick Rusz -- a Wildlife Biologist with the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy -- helped lead the necropsy.

"What we found was a series of claw marks that are pretty much unmistakable," said Rusz. "We're seeing a combination of claw and bite marks that are very consistent with a cougar attack in location and severity."

Friday, December 2nd, Berrien County Animal Control issued a public safety announcement about the possibility of a cougar attack.

Citizens are advised to use appropriate caution and report any sightings to Animal Control at (269) 471-7531. Any unusual damage to livestock or pets should also be reported immediately.

"When we saw the severity of this, we thought we better let people know -- in particularly with livestock -- if they can get it into the barns in the evenings, do that," said Val Grimes, Berrien County Animal Control Director.

This is not up north either this is about 20 minutes from me. Only 30 miles from the Indiana/Michigan border.

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Eek. What other predatory animals are around us beside wolves and pumas? I'd like to learn more about what we'll be up against before we even start an animal collection.

Thanks for that.

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

This doesn't surprise me at all. We've recently had cougar sitings on the Hannipen Feeder Canal (NW IL) that the DNR has pawned off as a golden retriever. When pictures were produced (and published in local newspaper), the DNR said it was a large housecat.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

This just seems so goofy to me. Why does the DNR refuse to acknowledge obvious cougar attacks? They act like cougars are yetis or something.

They really are goofy if they think people don't know the difference between a golden retriever and a cougar.

Sheesh. :help:

Pony!

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I'm so glad we have wolves and lions and grizzlies out here so we don't have to wonder about them and hope some official admits to them after a sighting. You guys have it rough.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

LOL Pluhhheeeeeeessseee. A GOLDEN RETRIEVER? A LARGE HOUSECAT? are these guys serious? No doubt the real estate agents and developers in the area are trying to keep things "under wraps" so that property values don't go down.

Donsgal

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

People around here (sw missouri) had been talking about some bear sightings and the "officials" around poo-pooed it with a bunch of excuses. Not until somebody either hit or took pictures of a bear in Reeds Spring did they finally admit - of course, their response was it "might be an escaped pet". Sure. Everybody *I* know has a black bear for a pet - don't you?

donsgal

8. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

odd reed springs refuses to accept bears in the area. There are at least a family of a female and two cubs and another male in the bradleyville/pineridge area. And I know of panther sightings in the bradleyville area.

9. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

We had quite a few cougar sitings last winter in our area and the same denials from the people who are supposed to know what they're talking about. DNR said it was a housecat...of course they didn't see it, they just decided that it can't be a cougar because of course there aren't any cougars in Michigan and everyone knows that. Animal control said it was wild and not their problem. Finally someone managed to get a good close picture of it...looked like about 5 feet long, 120 pounds. That's a BIG housecat! It's also a little small for a cougar, but an expert interviewed by a local newspaper said he was 85% sure it was a cougar. So animal control started saying it was someone's illegal pet cougar that escaped 5 years ago. Its size indicates that it's probably only about 1-2 years old, though. I never saw it myself (other than the picture) but plenty of people did, including the police chief who has hunted cougars in Oregon. I don't know why they can't just admit that we have cougars in Michigan. I guess they think they would have to do something about it.