when will i know? help me understand

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Jan 25, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

I have been waiting for a long time for my doe to kid, her utters are full her sides are wide, she is swollen and i faintly feel " i think the ligements"? the billy was with her and the other herd all summer so i don't have a clue on when the deed was done.
    what can i do?? she has very short breaths because she is so big, with a little grunting as well. i see a little white mucus that dries to be a little yellow..ish and there is a flesh like ball looking thing almost protruding out of her its the size of a golf ball maybe a bit smaller????? whats that!! will the stomach drop down? will she make any kind of noises?

sorry for all of the questions but i am going nuuuuts!!
    thanks in advance for your help.
    jarred

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If there is something protruding then it is most likely a prolapse of her vagina or rectum, or a kid that is possibly stuck. Is she having contractions or laying down & pushing at all?? You can lube your hand well & gently insert it to see if it is a kid.

3. kickingbird

if it is the prolapse or rectum does that mean she is close?
    what are the signs of a contraction?
    as far as it being a kid there was no discharg or balloon bubble or anything like that. does the balloon bubble not appear in all labors?
    she does lay down and breaths fast and has a bit of a grunt but i dont think she is pushing but i really dont know.
    sorry im trying, i just have too many questions

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If she has prolapsed, that is not a good thing. My guess would be a kid that is not presenting itself right in which case you need to go in & get it straightened out. If the kid is not coming right, she may not do much pushing.

5. kickingbird

i just went out to the barn again and felt under her stomach the kids are still moving, if i do go in and she is not ready will it force her into labor? what if they are not ready to come out?

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If she is not fully dilated, you will not be able to get your hand in all the way. If she is dilated & the kids are not coming right, they will probably die unless you get them straightened out.

7. kickingbird

well it is 9:53 i went to the store and bought some ky jelly and gloves and attempted to go in she was very uncomfortable with that i was nervous as well, i thing i will just wait a little longer and see what happens i didnt feel anything pushing tward me so i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope maybe i am just jumping the gun.
    thanks, for your advice
    jarred

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wait to long, or the kids will die, when you wnet inside, how far could you go? If she is ready then you will be abole to put your hands on the kids, if now you won't be able to go far. I think it won't be long, just wait a few minutes, not a half hour , just a few minutes, I will be up for a while so let me know what you feel.

9. debitaber

I see yo up[osted at 9: 53, it is 10:49 now, yo ushould have something. kids?

10. kickingbird

no kids!!! i guess i was wishing to much but if you read my original message i requested info on what to expect i'm still not sure Mrs wendy helped me but i guess i was off on timing the kids are still moving but not in the right direction i will hopefully get some more advice on the signs and what to look for and then maybe i will at least know when she is in labor.
    jarred

11. debitaber

ok, here we go, she will loose a mucas plug, [if she haseb't already], it will basically look like snot, best i can describe it, and she will get up and done, pant, paw at the bedding, some go off feed, but not all, and then her water should break, and sh will bare down and push. IF she pushes for more than a half an hour , she will need help, then you go in. but make sure your hand is clean, and nails are cut off, [so yu don't scratch the inside of her], when she starts bareing down and pushing you will know, she will probably grunt, some yell their heads off, some don't. you will be able to see her contractions, in her bellie, and sides, there will be no mistake, you will see it. then you should see a sackm and two feet and a head, now if you see a foot or a leg and a foot, gently push it back in, and gop in and straighten them out. and another thing i should mention. lots of goats have breach births. most of the time with no problem, but if that baby doesn't pop out, get it fast, and shove it in , and turn it around , and get it out fast, so it doesn't drink the fliud that is in the bag. try very hard, not to break the bags, on the babies, until they are born, if you do the ywill drown. but ,most goats, have no problem, having babies, most pop those babies out so fast, you don't have time to catch, and wipe. I hope this will help you. also use ky jelly, if you can if you hav to go in. but most of the time, they have those babies, fast and easy. good luck, I am sure you abd the goat will do fine.

12. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i hope the babies are fine and your doe is doing fine? if not i would have contacted a vet by now.with something that looks like a prolaps you could loose kids and the doe. or go and contact your lokal goat club. find out if an expirienced goat keeper is in your aerea who can show you what you are looking for.

13. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I think your just rushing her. What does her udder look like. I don't think new folks with just one doe kidding really get the whole ligiment thing, once again it's really hard to learn things like this on the internet, no matter how good the pictures are. Walking through a larger herd with an experienced goat person, feeling ligiments and udders of does due to kid now, in a week or so or in a month is wonderful! When the udder is shiny and tight, to where you really would like to come on the list and ask if you perhaps should maybe milk her out some because she is so full, is probably going to be your best indication that she is due soon. And honestly I bet 99% of the time new folks go out to the barn to find clean licked off babies with mom!

Goats just like us have braxton hicks contrations before they kid. It's really normal for a doe to nest, push, pull her head up high, bite at her sides, then get up and go eat and not kid for another week. It's all her body getting ready to have kids. Now a doe in early labor who gets up and down, flopping herself up and down, or really pushing on the barn walls with her belly, like she is scratching, is trying to position a kid, lay her down and help her, it's your biggest clue the does give you to expect a problem presentation.

Good luck, calm down, and you don't hurt anything going in like you did. In fact you could learn alot doing this, go in each day, check the cervic, first its hard and firm and you are NOT going in, your fingers stay in the vagina. Soon the cervic is closed but it is softer, and thinner feeling, like barely a skin opening. Then it's gone, and you can get a finger or so in, and when she is open and your hand will go inside, stay home she is in the first stage of labor. Vicki

14. kickingbird

thanks a million, thats what i was looking for. everyone's help was great but i think you nailed it, as far as calm down "LOL" there is alot of nervous energy in my mind because this is my first. thanks again and i will keep yall posted on the situation....