When to wether

Discussion in 'Goats' started by valsey, May 31, 2006.

1. valsey

valsey *

Hello everyone
    I would love any and all opinions on when I should wether my 2 boys. They are in with my does (mom included) now. I plan to have the vet castrate them because I can't bear any other method. (Lord knows the disbudding, tatooing and cocci preventative was bad enough!)

Thanks!

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

How old are they now? I don't usually wether until I absolutely have to (seven to eight weeks old if I have to keep them in the same pen with the girls).

If you get the tool to do bands, which is not expensive, banding is easy. You just put a band on the prongs, stretch the band open, make sure you've got both testicles, and put the band on, then roll it off the prongs. That's all there is to it -- hardly worth a vet bill.

Kathleen

3. valsey

valsey *

Well, I'm new to this and haven't got the farm mentality yet. They are really more pets than livestock to me. I wrapped a rubber band around my finger and could hardly stand it myself - can't imagine if it were my kahunas!

They are 8 weeks old.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Better get them done right away, then, as they are capable of breeding their mothers and sisters.

It only hurts for a short while -- then it goes numb.

Kathleen

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I like to band mine between 2 weeks-1 month of age. Banding only hurts for a bit and then they are numb.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Make sure you clean the area to be banded well before applying the band... watch for infection, though most goats do fine with the banding method.

7. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I always band mine, but wait until the buck is any where from 8 weeks to 4 months. Unless the little guy shows signs he needs to be banded sooner I would wait. Urinary Calculi can be a health issue later in life for them.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the sooner the better, i always banded them as soon as their balls were both down and ready any where from a few days to a week or two, the sooner the less they complain too, the older the kid the longer they laid around and balled but still it isnt that long at all and they are up and runnin like nothing happend, then in a week or two they up and fall of and you dont have to worry,
    no sence in putting them through a surgical visit, alot of times all that consits of is a snip and rip/clip which to me is ALOT more stressfull on them than a simple rubber band

9. khowellrn

khowellrn Well-Known Member

We castrate ours at 3 months or so, to allow the male hormones as much time as possible to remain in effect. Seems to make them grow bigger and faster in my experience. I think castrating is best at that age, because it's hard to stretch a band that big and hit the mark and they cry for a long time if banded at that size. Castration is quick and easy at that age. For 2 week olds, I'd band them. But they say you run the risk of renal calculi wethering at that age. Never had that happen when we did do it that way.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I castrate mine myself using a knife and like to do it by the time they are two weeks old. It is much less traumatic at an early age and there is no doubt that they are immediately neutered. I have an old 10 year old wether that i use for a buck companion that I wethered at the age of two weeks and he has never had a problem with urinary calculi. I just don't feed him grain. He may be the exception to the rule, but I always wether mine early, as they are for meat in general and i don't keep them for pets. I don't like the idea of banding because the goats suffer longer and their is a possibility of gangrene. I don't like the idea of a Burdizzo (the instrument that crushes the cords) because it may not always be 100% effective. However, if I ever had a large number of bucklings to castrate at once, i might chose one of those two methods just to save time and labor as cutting can be tiresome, even grueling, after doing just a few...particuarly because it really freaks out my husband who has to hold the little goats.

11. valsey

valsey *

You're braver than I will ever be!

At what point can they get a doe pregnant?

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

A little buckling can impregnate a doeling as early as two months. I castrate early so i can leave the little wethers in the same pens with the lttle doelings and don't have to have separate pens. Also, if i chose to dam raise, it presents a problem if there are bucklings and doelings together in the same "litter". If there are twin bucklings, there is not quite the urgency to castrate. But if the buckling has a sister, I castrate right away.

13. valsey

valsey *

No sisters. Just 2 boys. But there are 3 yearling does (one being the mom). I better get moving. I wouldn't mind terribly if they bred one of my nubians, but it would be bad news if they bred their mom. Especially since she was sold to me bred and these two boys are the product of that breeding and it was to her sire. ...

14. valsey

valsey *

ok - it's done. Now I really don't know what is better for these guys. Banding seemed inhumane to me, now cutting does.

Poor guys.

So how about this as a solution:
    A combo of things. First give them something that will numb that area for at least an hour. THEN band them. By the time the drug wears off that area will be numb naturally from the banding. Maybe they'd never notice...?

(I'm such a baby)

15. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

The same way we numb the does during birth? Just kidding. Just thought I'd throw that out there, couldn't resist.

16. valsey

valsey *

I don't get the joke.

Birthing is natural. Castrating isn't.

17. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I don't think robin was saying castration was natural, i think she was saying that a doe might prefer the pain of castration instead of the pain of childbirth if giving the choice. :)

18. valsey

valsey *

oh -

well neither is pleasant. And I for one am happy that I won't be experiencing either myself

19. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

:)

20. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member