Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have only one cow. She is a mini jersey. She is our family cow, milked by hand. Calved about 7 weeks ago. The calf is already eating hay, grain, and grass. I want more milk and to wean gradually, can I start that now? What is the process of gradual weaning? Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, yes i wasn't planning on weaning her off. I just meant if it was appropriate to separate her at night, then eventually more and more. That's what I do with my goats. So how should I do that? Separate her at night until shes 7 or so months old?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
As Alice said - Yes! but nothing is set in concrete. Depending on the cow and how the calf was doing, I had an absolute minimum of 5 months of share milking because not only did I want the milk but I also wanted a good, healthy calf to either put in the freezer (eventually), keep as an up and coming milker or to on-sell.
Experience is a good teacher but do start off doing both your cow, and it's calf, well.

DO expect a few problems - the chances are very high that once you start on this regime, your cow will withhold her milk for her calf. Natural response but extremely frustrating for you. If this should happen, grind your teeth but keep your mouth closed, and persist. She will eventually work it out.

Actually, Alice's quote at the bottom of her posts is relevant to most farming activity and particularly to what you are doing: "No great thing is created suddenly" and that is so true. Some of my very best milkers took 2-3 seasons before we got to where we were going.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Shaun, a good Irish name there! For the life of me I cannot figure out how to send you a pm so have resorted to the public forum. You liked a post I made in 2005 regarding Jersey cattle as beef. I went back and read it and my sentiments remain the same. I'm knocking on the door of 70 but if I could go back and do it all again, I would be rearing Jersey and Jersey/Angus crosses for the beef market. I have an acquaintance who rears Jersey/Angus cross and wins prizes for his meat EVERY year. There is a niche market for both and if it is something that interests you, you are still young enough to do it. I just wish I had cottoned on to it 20 years ago!

Thank you for liking my posts, I often wonder if I'm saying much of any use!

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Retired Coastie
5,174 Posts
Ronney, I'm guessing to start a PM you would click on the persons forum name and then click "start a conversation" and begin. In fact I'll send you a hopeful PM right now. We really do enjoy your posts....Topside

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello, i have only one cow. She is a mini jersey. She is our family cow, milked by hand. Calved about 7 weeks ago. The calf is already eating hay, grain, and grass. I want more milk and to wean gradually, can I start that now? What is the process of gradual weaning? Thank you
I have used the Quiet Weaners, and with only the two animals it might be a solution for you. Cows and calves do not like to be separated so when the time comes putting one of these on the nose of the calf might indeed keep it quieter around your place. I always wait until my calves are 7 months old to wean them, they are more ready then and it is less stressful for the mom as well.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I’ve a question related to this. At what age would you begin separating calf from cow in this manner?
You can start doing this when the calf is three or four days old. The cow will naturally adjust her milk production, and the calf will get all he needs. He or she will however, protest loudly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.