Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you start your seeds so they will be ready to go out? Here is a list of the seeds I have and am zone 6/7

Pickle bush Cucumbers
Green Onions
Kohlrabi
Brussels Sprouts
Sweet 100 tomatoes
Tall Utah Celery
Long Imperator Carrots
De Cicco Broccoli
Early snowball A Cauliflower
Delectable Hybrid Sweet Corn
Scarlet Globe Radish
Cherry Belle Radish
Cilantro
Leaf lettuce
There are several varieties of larger tomatoes
Several varieties of green beans

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you have lights and/or a heat mat set up? The ability to successfully start plants indoors is very much related to the quality of light, and warmth provided. A window is usually not nearly enough sun and especially in the weak sun days of winter/earliest spring.

Of the plant seed you listed the radishes and carrots should be just direct seeded in the garden at the proper planting time in spring. They do not transplant well.

As to the rest, I will let someone who is in your region and zone respond - my timing is based on zone 8b - maritime pacific northwest.

·
Zone 9, Central Florida
196 Posts
Im in zone 9 Central Florida, Can't help ya from here. but here are some Ideas, Go to local feed store and ask, maybe a local truck farmer is there and you can cet some real advice and tricks, as to what dates to start your sets, this is important as in your area there are places that are colder and hotter due to the elevation and etc. See my area the old timers say plant potatoes first week in Feb. Have transplants ready for first week in march, so this is what Im going by but I am going to plant some and trans plant some early and watch, I am now keeping a journal for this reason, to what works and what don't, mistake page also to reread when I feel smart Ha Ha. I am working my soil now for the spring, (adding to sheet compost and tillering in) . Oh! get your soil sample about 4-6 weeks before you plant that will give ya some time for Lime soil adjustments, as soil doesn't adjust fast, Hope this helps, also theres lot's of help here on this Fourm , good garding, Guilt Trip

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Broccoli and Cauliflower should be started in January and I agree the start lights and temp control will help you start plants that are robust and short rather than leggy (which is bad for the cole crops). You will need row covers to do them right and get them in the ground early enough they can use the cool weather to mature.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we start planing on Feb 14th here. I am thinking about starting my seeds in the house Jan 1st. that would get 6wks start before going in the ground. I don't want to have to buy plants this year. man they are expensive. I am starting the tomatoes, squashes,melons, peppers, and then the lettuce and stuff I will just start in the ground in the garden. I am trying to plant enough to make a couple years worth of spaghetti sauce and salsa. Then get a years worth of peas, green beans, squash to be frozen. We are a family of 2 but will be a family of 6 (combining 2 families). I will be going from a long growing season to a very short one. So I want to get as much going here as I can. lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. I will start them sometime between Jan and Feb then. Ihave both lights and heat mat so that should get them going.
DC

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I am in zone 6/7

Pickle bush Cucumbers - direct seed
Green Onions start mid Jan-early Feb
Kohlrabi 8 wks to transplant
Brussels Sprouts start in June and grow through fall
Sweet 100 tomatoes 8 wks to transplant
Tall Utah Celery I can't grow this
Long Imperator Carrots direct sow