When to start planting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bonnie lass, Feb 1, 2005.

1. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Hey Joe, you need to know what the average last frost date is for your area, and you count back from there. Avg last frost is Apr 18th around here, and celery should be started 12 weeks before, so I am starting my celery now. Tomatos and peppers are 6-8 weeks before, etc, this info should be on the seed pack.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Check out this cool site.

http://www.chestnut-sw.com/growform.htm

Just fill out the 1st, 3rd and 4th step. It will tell you everything to plant right now, what to be hardening off, what to plant outside, ect.

You can usually find you last and first frost date by looking up your county extention. Just put in your county's name, state and the word extention into google. I found my county extention's site that way. Then search around on the terribly designed website until you find it, hidden back in the depths of poorly-designed-site-land.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

The Farmers Almanac is also a very good source for planting information.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

You might also try checking with your local extension office. They should have timing and variety recommendations for your area in a publication. And it's "free," since your taxes have already paid for it!