When to reworm with Panacur?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kyla206, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Kyla206

Kyla206 Member

I have to admit, I slacked on my worming schedule & had some unhappy goats...scary for me too! My vet says Panacur is still a good wormer for our area, but wasn't sure on when to reworm with goats. With the lack of goat advice I can get from him, I've been self-educating from the net. With panacur, do I reworm in 10 days, or 21? And then when again? Anybody have any tips for me? Thank you! ~Kyla

Since giving the initial dose, they are back to almost acting & looking normal! Whew!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I kinda disagree here because if their eyelids are pale then their worm load is way to heavy. Personally I use cydectine and then the panacur or white wormer in 14 days. I then do fecal checks and only worm when needed. Too many of us are using the wormers too often to where the worms are becoming resistant to them in many parts of the country. Also adding to this is the fact that we are not using enough of a dose so as not getting the job done right in the first place and the worms are just absorbing it , thus building up resistance. doing your own fecals saves you alot of vet bills and worming med bills. plus you have healthy goats.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I had thought fecals were the best way to check too. But then DH went to a FAMACHA class and they had a different take on it. The extension agent pointed out that fecals will only tell you the amount of eggs and only accounts for adult worms, but doesn't account for the worms in other life cycles. The FAMACHA system goes by eyelid color, with fecals to follow up after worming, to be sure that the wormer is working. But that the eyelid color gives you more info then the fecals. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly how do you look at "eyelids"?

I've got a picture in my head of having to wrestle the goat to the ground and try to flip it's eyelid inside out. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Maybe "eyelids" isnt exactly the correct term. You look at the whites of the eyes and the color of the tissues surrounding the eye (on the inside). If you will Google FAMCHA it will show you where to look. Its not really the "lid" itself.

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am following this routine from TexasCountryWoman, She doesn't use Panacure though. I really like using the Cydection.

"I use Cydectin Pour on for Cattle, orally. The rate is 1 cc / 25 lbs.
    Do not use on pregnant goats or goats under 4 months of age. it is purple and smells like gasoline, but that is it. I use it once every 21 days to break the life cycle of the worms, 2 or 3 times, then just as needed. I worm does the day they kid with Cydectin, there is not a milkwithhold time but I wait a few days prior to drinking the milk anyway, just in case.

For kids, i use Valbazen Cattle and Sheep dewormer Suspension at the rate of 1 cc / 10 lbs orally. Not for pregnant does. I worm every 21 days til they are old enough for Cydectin then hit them with a dose of cydectin as Valbazen may not kill all the worms that cydectin will.

I use Ivermectin inj. orally at 1 cc / 33 lbs for pregnant does.

I never use panacure as it is too weak."

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Will do. Thank you.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

FAMACHA is a wonderful tool to use on incoming stock, or on stock you are purchasing. But to use, mucous membrance coloring for your own stock? It's a tool I would use with fecaling first. Worming at salvage, which you are doing if you are waiting for the adult blood sucking worms to make your doe anemic enough so you can see visually with your eyes that she is starting to go pale. The harm has already been done, then not only are your worming, but loosing production (either meat or milk or fiber) and fixing a problem that you could have 'seen' weeks earlier on fecal.

Yes fecal sampling only shows you eggs, but eggs are laid by the blood sucking moms who are killing your goat. It gives you the eaisest, cheapest way, it's alot cheaper than worming even 5 goats, waste 5 doses of wormer scheduled worming, or run a fecal for $10 at the vet or for about $2 at your home? Yes adult worms arrest their larve in your goats during the winter, so although your goat has no eggs on fecal, they do have worms, but arrested worms do not suck blood. They do wait until the first spring...fresh grass to live in...or the stressful hormonal surge of kidding, to 'awaken" become the blood sucking parasties their moms are.

Raise your hand when a parsitologist asks a room full of folks if you schedule worm only, or worm at salvage...you will slink out of the room after the lecture! Ask me how I know!

The fastest way to have wormers that no longer work for you is using them when you don't need them, switching between classes of wormers and not using all wormers orally at the right amount.

Be very very careful using any white wormers...safeguard, panacur, Synanthic and Valbazen...the bensazole drugs have been soo overused since the 40's that there are few worms they get...do fecals. Other than tapes, they are nearly worthless for haemoncous/barber pole worms, and there isn't a fecal I run on my herd (except kids who are seperated from adults until they are adults) that don't contain at least some haemoncous worm eggs.

The only sure test for worm is at necropsy, don't let a death of one of your goats go by without sending fecal material from the intestine in to really see what you have! Even at butcher. If your vet isn't good at giving you good information....how many eggs per gram, what kind of worms are those eggs? Than send them in to A&M or PAVL in Texas! vicki