Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have ALWAYS had bees to pollinate our pumpkins that we sell in the fall. I have never havested the honey because it the time to do it seems to come at the time I am back to work and we are beginning to get the farm ready for pumpkin sales. This year I wanted honey, so, can anyone tell me what to really look for that will tell me it is time to havest the honey. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
When the Cells on the Comb Are capped the Honey is dried to the proper Storage Density. Or you can say Its Dried Honey the Water is out of the Nectar!!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
As James said, when it is capped. Pull a frame out. If all, or 95% of the cells are capped over, brush the bees from it and put an empty in it's place.

If you want to harvest the super, check most of the frames for capping and take the whole super. There are many ways to get the bees out of the super, but brushing is the simplest and easiest if you only have one super or less to do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Where you are located you can get away with 70% capped honey and still be good. I have pulled honey half capped and the meter showed it at 17%. good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
You should still have time to wait. I checked on my hives this weekend and not all the supers are capped yet so I'm waiting for a bit to do the last 2 supers on most hives. Heck, I even found one bringing in fresh nectar...Fall flow starting early? Didn't smell like golden rod, but I am seeing some blooming out there.

Out here the goal is to have tho supers off the hive by labour day.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
The German hive I have fully capped their super so they're ready. The Italians (who had a dead queen earlier this year) didn't fill one single comb in their super, so I guess it's a building year for them.

I've got two brood boxes on each hive completely full of honey, but I'm going to leave those for them. I'm not sure how much honey to leave for the bees overwintering needs but I'd rather leave them too much than too little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts