When to Plant What in NY

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Four Angels Dad, May 11, 2006.

1. Four Angels Dad

Four Angels Dad Member

We just moved to western NY (as far west as you can go without leaving the state) and as far south (PA is 475 feet from my door) and we have just found out that you just can't get a jump on thing outdoors as we used to back home in CT.
    We would like to hear from anyone in the area that would be able to tell us when it is safe to plant things. We now have the lettuce, onions, broccoli, and carrotts in, the peppers, though protected all died in a frost. Tomatoes and cukes are still inside, zukes aren't planted yet nor are the beans. So any help from snyone in the area would be great.
    While I am at it the soil here is clay, it's not soil, I was thinking of adding some serious cow manure and maybe mixing it with sand to break up the ground a little bit any ideas?

Thanks to all

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I find this to be pretty helpful:

Farmer's Almanac Planting Table

It looks like you're just a few days away from being able to plant most things. And the manure with a little sand would be a great idea. Just make your new, amended soil can drain somewhere. You don't end up with a "bathtub" of clay that holds water and drowns your plants.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

We have great soil to make pots and smoking pipes. The Iroquois have been making clay pipes for a few thousand years here. Adding manure is the best thing to do. Skip the sand though. That's the way to make building bricks is to add sand to clay. This year is very diferent than most years because it is so warm this winter and spring. Usually we don't plant annuals and vegetables until the last week of May. However I'm going to be planting in a few days because we're are supposed to be getting ten days of rain and the lows are forecast to be in the mid forties at night. If it were sunny and blue skies then I'd say no to planting yet because the frosts would come at night. Anytime they forecast forty degrees at night and the days are sunny then don't plant yet. If you suspect that we are gonna get a frost at night because of clear nights, then you can cover with frost cloth.