When to plant watermelons and pumpkins.......

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by monarchcmj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Well-Known Member

My kids really want to grow watermelons and pumpkins this spring and summer and I'm wondering when to plant them? Can they be started inside and then planted outdoors when it warms up?
    Are there any secrets to growing BIG pumpkins?
    I have never been able to have a garden because where we live is dry dirt and LOTS of granite; no good soil in this yard! This year, my aunt has offered a garden patch to us at her house and we'd like to give it a try.
    Any pointers on growing these two things will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Christy

2. Garnet

Garnet Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with melons or pumpkins, but I do have alkaline, granite aggregate soil. I can sympathize with anyone trying to grow anything in this type of soil!

I compost everything I can. Then I work compost, bags of garden soil and/or potting soil into a selected area. Since I have limited space for gardening, I have to do whatever it takes to get maximum production from my gardening. This might be an expensive way to go if you have a big garden, but it's ok for a small space.

Today I saw large bags of potting soil for under $10 at Sam's. I may get a bag for planting and transplanting the next small area.

You will have to study the pumpkin varieties to see which one produces the size you are interested in. The catalog descriptions usually tell the size.

Good luck!

3. flowerpot

flowerpot New Member

Hello!

Do you know your USDA Zone?

I plant mine two weeks after the last frost date. The best thing to do is call your county extention office. They will be able to give you planting dates for your area.

We had lots of fun with our pumpkin patch last year. My youngest gave each child in her class one and then we donated the rest to be handed out to kids that lived in the neighborhood where are church is at.

With our watermelon patch I put black plastic down when I planted. They love the heat and it really helps them take off.

Good luck to you!

4. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies :)
    I don't know what zone I'm in; I'll have to find out. Calling the county extension is a good idea.
    My kids are very excited about gardening this year, so I want to make sure we do it right ;)
    Thanks again!
    Christy

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Pumpkins don't need to be started more than 7-10 days ahead of planting outside as they grow really fast and ...peat pellets/pots would be good....we use cottage cheese cartons, the roots get huge in a very short time.
    Don't forget to scratch your kids names on pumpkins once they get half grown or so....they'll love having their own pumpkins. Also, to grow big 'uns try milk feeding a la Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder....personally we just fertilize weekly with Sea Magic...and plant them in hills with liberal amt. rabbit pellets. DEE