when to plant kale

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SquashNut, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

When do you plant your kale?
    I have been planting as soon as i can work the soil in the spring, but that means I don't get any thing from that bed untill fall after the first frost. Since the frost makes the kale sweeter. So can I plant it later and maybe get some other crop off the bed in the mean time. Maybe turnips?

2. ChristieAcres

ChristieAcres Well-Known Member Supporter

Since I started Kale a few years ago, I don't plant it. Each year, very early Spring, hundreds of new plants pop up. I move what I want, and soon will be planting a lot more around the property for our chickens. I also let my Kale go to seed, and offer seed for sale. This year, I am planting a lot more for a Fall/Winter crop.

3. praieri winds

praieri winds Well-Known Member

we plant kale in early spring just as soon as you can work the ground or late summer for a fall crop ours did not mind a light frost they were better afterwards if you are able to work your garden now would probably be a good time

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in Central Texas. I planted my kale in the fall and it grew right through the winter. It is just now starting to make seed heads.

5. AmberLBowers

AmberLBowers Well-Known Member

Same here in Georgia. It's a plant in fall and harvest all winter for us. This fall will be the first time I have planted it myself. My grandparents a couple miles away always plant WAY too big of a mixed greens patch (kale, turnip, collards,mustard) and I usually go there for mine.

6. SquashNut

But what is the latest I could plant it? Will it germinate ok when it warms up?

7. Island of Blueb

Island of Blueb Island of Blueb Supporter

You probably know you can pick and use the budding seed heads + stems the same as broccoli. :)

8. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

All I have ever planted comes up just fine in the cooler weather, not so good when temps are in the upper 80's and low 90's. And some depends on the variety. Last year I had one plant that went to seed in the heat of the summer. My Red Winter goes all season and doesn't bolt until it's second year.

I'm getting ready to replant the 2 pots where my kale didn't come up.

I use the leaves all summer long, or until the cabbage worms get the best of the plants. I haven't noticed any taste difference between summer kale and fall frosted kale. But the cabbage worms get really bad here once August is turning into September. I try to have enough picked, steamed and dehydrated to last me through the winter before the end of August.

9. SquashNut

I've never had them go to seed even the ones that make it though the winter.