Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who grow these, forgive my ignorance :rolleyes:
I received these seeds in a trade and have never grown them before. I believe the name is "Taiwan Black Yard-long bean". So far, they are definately living up to the yard-long part! HOLY :cow: !

I needed to shade the GH over summer, so set them to climbing it a few months ago. Well, they're doin' some fine shadin'! :dance: But I don't know anything about harvesting those beans. How big will they get? Can I use them like dry beans, green beans? What are the best sizes to pick?

Thanks for your wisdom!

G

·
They're cowpeas, just a climbing long-podded type. You may know them as field peas or Southern peas.

Use them as snaps when the peas inside are still small, or let them get a little bigger then shell them out. You can even let them dry on the vine for dry peas, but if you want the vines for shade I'd keep them picked.

Probably the most common thing to do is to shell them then snap some more immature pods into them. I rather like steaming them whole until they are tender.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I picked them every other day when they were about 18 inches long and cut them into smaller pieces and used them in stir fries or just sauted them with onions and peppers and garlic for a side dish. They say tender and are very good. I haven't grown them in a couple of years because of the ant/aphid problem I have sometimes. When I grow them again they will be in a plot of their own away from everything else.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!
I may try steaming some (thanks for the tip, Alan), but I think I'll dry most. I had a bumper crop of green beans this year, and the family's just about had enough! (not including what's frozen and canned)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.