When to move seedlings to greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rkintn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I have some seedlings (tomato, sunflower,marigold,squash,zucchini,beans) that are up pretty good and I have repotted them. When is it safe to move them outside to the temp. greenhouse? We have had a couple of nites of below freezing but the temps for the next week look like they will be above freezing at nite and near 60 during the day. Will I be able to leave them out 24hrs or should I bring them back in at nite?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Oops, I misread what you posted.

Yea, I would think you could move them out to the greenhouse.

3. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

We have the same temps here........last weekend I transplanted my tomatoes and put them in the greenhouse ....they seem to enjoy it !!! I am doing a test - kept some in the house under a grow light, some out in the greenhouse !! Do you think they prefer wamer out in the greenhouse, or more light in the house ?!?! We shall see !!!

4. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

Miz Mary, good experiment! Let us know how it goes!

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

So, how are the seedlings doing? I'm going to put some out in my temporary greenhouse today, I think. Right after I remove the post I wrote about this identical subject. Whoops! :eek:

Pony!

6. zel

zel Well-Known Member

I cleaned my greenhouse today and started 4 kinds of squash and some zucchini seeds. Here in western WA nights are still in the low 40's and 2 mornings ago there was a skim of ice on the ducks water pails. I always start the seeds in the greenhouse, as I never have the soil tilled up or weeded and ready until into May. I also start my corn in the greenhouse. I grow lettuce for my ducks and have some started already, and start more about every 2 weeks thruout summer months, and transplant the last of it in Aug. or early Sept. and it keeps me in lettuce until into Nov. If you have some type of coverning over the plants, I would think you would be safe in leaving them outside now.