Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I want to make sure I don't wait too long like I did last time I grew them! lol How do I know when my zucchini and crooknecks are ready to harvest?

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
Pick that dern zucchini as soon as you see it - wait another day and it becomes a baseball bat! The more you pick, the more they make!
Actually, it helps to count blooms; even so, I always have at least 1 that slips through the radar--surely I'm not alone? :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I like mine young so as soon as the blossom starts drying and comes off easy I cut them.
Ha, no you are not alone – we have to go away sometimes and it is scary how fast a zuke can grow in two days… good for stuffing or relish then.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I pick some zukes with the fresh blossom still attached and eat it all. If the blossom looks too wilted or brown, I don't bother. As WIHH mentions for size, that's about the limit for my picking summer squash to eat fresh....small. The big ones used in other recipes is fine. Also, I love to overplant zucchinnis. My chickens and turkeys love them. The other thing is in fall, if you have some that are good skinned, good sized is they store for a while...at least a month or 6 weeks, and then use them around November when by that time you're not so sick of eating them fresh.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
I try to pick them when they are small also, but when a few get away from me I always use some variation of the below recipe. It is WONDERFUL! :)

Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini

Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini

4 servings 55 min 10 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
4 medium zucchini
1 medium onion, minced
1 can roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 egg, beaten
2 thyme, sprigs
1/4-1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper
3/4 lb ground beef (or chicken, turkey, fish, 1 can of tuna, or other veggies...you get the idea)
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 slices cheese (any kind really, we use gouda or gruyere, though this really is a matter of personal preference)

Wash zucchini, and put in a pot of cold water (do not remove ends).
Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, maybe a little longer depending on the size of your zucchini.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a fairly large skillet.
Sautee garlic first, then add onions, green pepper, thyme, and oregano.
When the veggies begin to soften, add ground meat (or whatever you are using), season with salt and pepper, and brown until cooked through.
Drain off any exess grease.
Set aside to cool slightly.
When the zucchini have cooked through, remove from water, and allow to cool enough to handle.
Slice cooled zucchini lengthwise, and scoop out center, leaving a little veggie flesh to form a"boat.
"Mix ground meat mixture with the red peppers, and the scooped out zucchini (chopped), and the egg.
Fill the zucchini boats with the mixture, and top each with a slice of cheese.
Bake in a 375º oven for 20-30 minutes, until heated through, and cheese begins to bubble and brown.
Serve hot.
Note:If making this dish with tuna or fish, I like to add a little mayo or garlic mayo, and substitute the raw egg for a hard boiled and chopped one.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Beltane,

Thanks for the Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini recipe. We have small zucchini and baseball bats coming out of our ears. Dropped them at neighbors doors in the city, and even gave bags away at a funeral. We still have more coming.

Will try your recipe tonight.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm.... Looks like a great recipe! I think I'll try that this weekend.

Pony!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! And especially thanks for that delicious sounding recipe! I'm off to go check out me lil squashees in a minute here and I'll probably grab some off now even though they're not real big. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.