when to harvest rose rips?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ponyexpress, Sep 23, 2004.

1. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

How do I tell when my rose hips are ready to pick? Or do I just leave them on the bushes until after it frosts? What color are they supposed to be?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

They turn red and from what I've read should be harvested after the first frost. I'm planning on harvesting some of the wild rose hips on my place this year for jelly, etc.

3. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

That's cool! Here I thought that all of the fruit that I was going to get to make jelly this year was already gotten!

I have a red rose bush out front that for some reason makes hips, but they aren't large hips like I've seen on some rose bushes.

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

If you would like a rose that makes really beautiful hips, you might try a dog rose, or a damask. My damask roses have hips that are almost too pretty to use! By the way, those annoying bramble roses in the woods make little tiny hip clusters that, when dried, are gorgeous in craft projects! I collect grape vines, braid them into a wreaths, and decorate them with the little hips. I'm glad you brought this up! It's great to know that other people are harvesting these beautiful, healthy gems!

5. Ravenlost

Thanks for the ideas MelissaW! The wild roses I have (they are everywhere) do have the clusters of very small rose hips.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Kudzu vines are great for wreaths or baskets too, if you live in the south.

7. Ravenlost

My neighbor has a lovely kudzu vine wreath she made hanging over her sewing machine.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

So.. we were at Costco today for The Big Shop and I saw tons of rose hips adorning the roses planted in the parking lot dividers. It seems a terrible waste to let them just rot there... what is the protocol for harvesting hips in public parking lots? Does anyone do it?

9. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just wait until it frosts.
    Morrison Corner --- I'd ask the manager if you could harvest some hips from the parking lot. They're supposed to keep their customers happy and coming back! Good luck!

10. Ravenlost

I'd be a little concerned about contaminants...chemicals from car exhaust and from spraying. If you do ask the manager about picking them, be sure to ask if they use insecticides, fertilizers, etc.

11. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK