when to breed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Mar 23, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

They'll be fine. I live in Northern Wisconsin. Our average winter day is 12 degrees. Our night lows w/ windchills are 30+ below sometimes! And that may be for a few weeks with a daytime high of 0. At least you don't have to worry about frostbite. You hardly have to worry about freezing water!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If she is 6 months right now I'd breed her in Sept. for kids in Feb. and dont worry about the temps. I have to wait for April to roll around before my buckets stop freezing. So thats when my babies are born. We also breed for a shaggier coat to help offset temps.

Your doe should be at least 80-100 lbs at breeding time...which she probably already is with that much Boar in her. What kind of buck are you using?

3. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

Hi Joykelly,
    We have kept goats for 25 years and always breed them to freshen when they are two years old.They can be bred alot sooner but we like the mothers to be fully grown when they become mothers thenselves. We have had accidents happen and does less than a year old got bred. They gave birth ok but never reached their full growth themselves.To me breeding a goat before it is fully mature is like a teenager having a baby. It is possible but not the best thing to do.

We also let kids nurse until the mother weans them so ours are nursing until they are about six months old. By then the mothers usually walk away. All the goats raised this way we have had turned out well both in size and milk production and having an easy time giving birth.