when to breed back?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 14, 2004.

1. I have weaned my pigs about a week ago. when should I breed back my sows? Do they need a certain amount of time to rest and dry up?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Travis

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Expose her to the boar and let him breed her as soon as she comes in heat. You will have less breeding prob. with a short dry period. She should be worm free and gaining wt. when she goes to the boar.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My first sow to breed the second time, bred herself back to the boar when she went into heat. She dug a hole beneath the 2 x 4 that frame the combo panel , let herself into the boar's pen, and then let herself out. He is way bigger than she is so he couldn't use the same hole. After her second litter she looks great- the piglets are 4 weeks and she's started to wean them. I would say in answer to your question, the very next heat if she is healthy. The above information is based on my wild pigs which are on a high protein diet when they are pregnant or lactating.

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Tango
    I had to grin, that is a clasic case of fenceline exposure if ever there was one :haha: That is a very easy way to get a group of sows to come in heat, put them where they can see and smell a boar and they usualy come into heat just like magic!!!!!!!
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen her doing it myself. Now that my sow pen is another twenty feet apart, from the boar, I don't know what to expect from the girls this time. But this time there will be a group of them together. Poor boy might be begging for a cigarette or a night off :)

6. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Tango
    If you have more than one in heat at once you might want to pen breed them one at a time!!The sows can get very agressive and if they cause the boar to fall off when he is coupled it can very easily ruin him for breeding. Trust me this is an experiance you do NOT want to have :eek:
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango, you already missed your first chance. Sows come into heat about 3 days after weaning, and most hog farmers breed on this heat. Don't worry, go ahead and breed her on her next heat. Sows tend to grow a lot between weaning and thier next farrowing, so it' actually extends the life of the sow to keep her bred. Only feed about 5 lbs of feed a day during gestation.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi tinknal. thank you for the information. I didn't know that. But she is still nursing, just not happy about it anymore. Probably soon, but I'll wait until she's dry and has a month or two to recover. I have no doubt she will tell me when she is ready. They are very vocal and insistent about these things :) Five pounds of feed is double their ration. I feed them that much during gestation and lactation.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Mike, Scratchy is a big mush. I think he'd wet himself presented with so many sows at once :haha: but anyway Itchy is no longer in a pen where she can let herself (or any other sow) out :) so I sure hope they don't gang up on Scratchy. I haven't made a final decision but I will probably not breed Scratchy again. I've seen four of his litters and a fifth is due in two weeks. He isn't really throwing the traits that I'm looking for in my wild piglets. I am raising a new little boar :) I will probably not breed all the sows again, at least two are destined for the freezer as soon as they dry up and I am keeping the two typiest gilts to raise for breeders. Itchy is just a precocious girl :) the others waited for me to make the introductions...

10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango, sorry about the misinfo on the feed . I was assuming standard type hogs.....

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I run a wild flock or rather herd in the case of the pigs. They can do what they what when they want and I get 12 months a year pork. If they aren't up to it they will let the boar know.

12. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

:haha: No problem. i love the wild things :)