When they ask... Why did you move way out there!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stanb999, Sep 30, 2005.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

When they ask... Why did you move way out there!!!

This winter you can say "Free firewood so no heat bill." :nana:

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...

When we're asked that we look at the "asker" like they're crazy and ask, "Why the heck do you live in the city?" When they tell us, then we say, "That's exactly why we live out here."

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Our family asked us the same question if fact at one time they asked why ..we lived in this God forsaken place..and I found that very offensive personally. But then considered who was saying it !! I am usually glad these type of people do not live in the country..could you imagine what type of neighbors they would be !! I can just about bear it when I need to go to work or go shopping at the local stores..I would rather be poor in the country than poor in the city that's for sure. When I leave home to visit my city sister on those rare occasions my heart aches to get home. When I see the PA mountains coming into view I know I'm heading home !! I now look out of my window at a beautiful blue jay raidng our bird feeder and think what would I be seeing if I was in the city out of my window. No thank you..I will gladly give up many "conviences" and would rather enjoy my country wild life friends than live in surburbia or the city...let them have their city lights..just give me the country life. (wasn't that a sone from Green Acres show ??..hmmm)

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Not many people have really asked us, so it hasn't been a problem. The few that do, dh has usually just told them "Living out here means I can pee anywhere on my own property without worrying about anyone seeing me." Most people just shake their head in agreement. :shrug:

Now the kids get asked that all the time from their friends and cousins who can't believe they would want to live out in the country. They can't hang out at the mall, or play lazer tag twice a week, or walk to the park all the time. The other kids don't realize that instead of lazer tag games, my kids target practice with rifles, they have their own park where mom and dad don't have to watch them every second. My kids think they have it pretty lucky.

5. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Raven, I gotta warn ya to be carefull how you say that.
    Why..??? What if all those city folks tryed to "move" to the country...........makes me sick to think that way.

My line is "You wouldn't understand if I told ya".........which will confuse them and that gives me the opportunity to turn and walk away from the conversation.

6. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

The COUNTRY life is for us. Retired but never tired of the good soil and ROOTS. A good solid Cabin and the feel of a good wood fire, along with a good Woman to fix my Tea and warm my back side at night. The songs of the Birds and the BRAYING of DONKEYS to keep us grounded. Golden leaves have replaced the silver green ones and the nip of fall is in the air. A shower of fresh rain has laid the dust to rest for another year. Winter hair on the DONKEYS is starting to appear and soon the sound of migrating birds will sound over head, moving to their winter grounds to the south. Some Lavender Flowers have made a brief appearance as to say, have a good winter sleep. Ever since my childhood I wanted to be a Cowboy, but instead I'm the HAPPY....donkeyman...in the COUNTRY.

7. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Donkeyman- you have a way with words, that was lovely. :goodjob:

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I usually say---"There are many days I wish I had moved even further into the (woods) country."

Most of them get the message that I prefer my privacy.........over their goofy questions.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...guess we'd better start enthusing on the large amount of mosquitos and cottonmouths we have here instead, huh?

It's cool enough at night that we're sleeping with the windows open. Last night ONE car went down the road (we're half a mile off the road) and my husband asked why so much traffic was out so late at night!!! I told him I didn't think traffic had increased, we just can't hear it with the windows closed. He's always threatening to blow up the bridge over the creek so we would have NO traffic on our road (we're the last house before the bridge).

10. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

mosquitos and cottonmouths..........how can you live with that.........thats BAD................lol

Up here we get snow piled so high ya can't see the house...

And iffin ya go to pee outside it freezes before it hits the ground......................now thats BAD.......

Yup ...guess ya better stay in yer nice cozy city apartment.

We'll not talk about what happens when the power goes off..

Oh...by the way.........don't eat the yellow snow..........

11. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

I never say this because it's not very nice but I always want to say....

because I didn't want neighbors like you.....

I usually just say that I grew up in the country and missed it.

Suzi

12. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

We get asked that all the time. We live on the end of a mile long gravel road and then a thousand feet off of that. Our nearest neighbor is a mile and a quarter away, we here absolutley no traffic, no noise from neighbors, etc. We searched for a place like this, so I just figure if people as that question, they wouldn't understand if I told them my reasons for moving here. It kind of goes along with the question I hear frequently, "aren't you lonesome out here?" I just say, "I didn't move way out here for a social life." Enough said.

13. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Plain and simple answer to the last guy that asked.

So I won't have to shoot all the idiots driving around town blasting their radios at all hours of the night. Why do you let your kid do that? :shrug:

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Why'd I move way out there? Where else would a sensible person want to live? Look at them like THEY'RE nuts and turn and walk away.

15. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I usually turn the question around on them and ask ...well, why do you live all the way in town???
    If that doesn't work i simply tell them I enjoy my peace & quiet, privacy and no neighbors or city telling me what I can and can't do at my own place and if I wanna walk around naked outside...I can.

...works for me :D

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I say that I enjoy the company of the black bears nearby. Usually that quells any notion of city slickers to want to move in next door 'out here'. :dance:

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I usually motion with my hand to the land and views around me and ask they why would I want to live anywhere else? That or I just tell that this is my home. Where else would I live?

I love my home. Not just love the scenery and the physical things but the things on a more spiritual level. This is the farm my forefathers carved out of the wilderness with their bare hands. Their blood sweat and tears are here. My blood sweat and tears are here. In some cases their earthly remains are here. When I walk my land it isn't just walking some random piece of real estate I set up shop on. I am walking on my heritage and my birthright. The land is a part of me and I am a part of it. When I walk down the fence row I am walking the same exact fence row where my great great great great grandfather walked over 150 years ago. Maybe it seems silly or trite but it means a great deal to me.

In my case if they ask "why did you move all the way out here?" chances are they won't understand the lighthearted answer and you can be sure they won't understand the deeper answer.

18. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually pop off with this comment--which stops it all...

"DH and I Like to have wild monkey sex outside, where no one can see us."

end of conversation. ;) :D

19. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA Shelljo!
    That was funny - I would just turn red and slink away...

I remember back in SA, people used to ask the same thing (We lived WAYYYYY out) and the best reply was always:
    "Leopards keep the criminals away" High crime rate is a major problem in the cities in SA, so anything you can think of to avoid crime is smart - that and the fact that I really dislike people in general (except for a very select few - this board included).
    After I mention that I dislike people in general, they usually move away pretty quickly. Most farmers and their sons were armed (it was allowed to carry a firearm in a holster on your side in public then).

20. WoodsVan

WoodsVan Member

"When they ask... Why did you move way out there!!!"

I just shrug because I assume if they have to ask they won't understand my reason anyway.

What I do get a LOT of, even from my country neighbors, is "If you're determined to live that far back in the woods why don't you fix your road?"

What I don't tell them is that I do fix my road. When ever the weather has been uncooperatively warm and dry, I use the loader bucket to ensure the ruts between the house and the mail box stay up to my standard
    :nana: