When the Time Comes: What MicroChip?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tango, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I spoke with my vet about microchipping. Gonna have my Jersey done on her next vet visit. Was reading in the PBS Animal Health catalog about different chips was hard to know which would fit the bill for a hobby farm dabbling in cattle. Anyone selected a chip already that can give feedback?
    BTW, my interest is mainly in protecting my cattle against theft. I've become aware of some meth addicts in my area and have been warned by farmers. If the chip isn't read at stockyards, auctions, or able to be tracked by satellite it is irrelevant to me until the law becomes mandatory.

2. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

U know...i was just reading about all these cattle rustlers in TX, and how this farmer lost over $500,000.00 in cows. And another was that the CRs loaded the cattle in with the guys own chute and in his own yard at night!It was in the last issue of Western Livestock Journal. Very good article. There are cattle rustler cops in TX that just handle cattle. Can arrest as well! Very neat
    AJ

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Tango, hate to even butt in but I hope you are an owner of firearms. With Meth junkies and rustler warnings from fellow farmers even I would be on the offensive and begin to start sighting in my favorite loudest weapon. Not trying to rile you up but from personal experience I have had an animal shot for whatever the reason and quickly informed the neighbors of the incident. In fact I invited them to the house to see my wounded steer. At that time I informed them that this will never happen again as long as I get my shot off first...To this day I'm sure the shooters were Meth Kids roaming the woods, skipping school and wondering how soon the next Meth meal will be served by their folks. Hate to sound bitter, enjoy life but be on guard...Tennessee John

4. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

You're setting yourself up for more guvmint control.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Government control while problematic is unavoidable. I appreciate the concern but all I want is to protect my livestock from theft. My dogs have been microchipped since the technology has been available and while my name and address is on a database in cyberland somewhere, I've never been bothered, targetted, contacted, or otherwise made to feel I exist.When the time comes, having fought a good fight against NAIS, I will microchip my livestock. They will not be subject to be siezed because I have a problem with governmental controls.I love my animals and do not use them as pawns in my personal battles. I agree the govt. has a heavy hand and there are underlying reasons that are not as patriotic as defending our nation against terrorist attacks on our food or as medically dignified as avoiding the 151st victim of BSE but right now I only seek information to protect my livestock.

6. furholler

Baaah. Baaah. Why not use your animals as pawns? The guvmint never hesitates to use you. They take control one bite at a time and I refuse to give them even a nibble. I agree with the person before, guns are fairly effective as a deterent. Even just the knowledge that you own one might stop someone from robbing you. I will not tag my animals for the same reasons you list for doing so. You may tag them to track them if stolen, but when the guvmint wants to steal them they'll know right where to find them. Read about what Stalin did to farmers in the Ukrain. Why turn a blind eye?

7. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Furholler, agreed!!!

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Because they are sentient beings. May be a foreign concept to you but not to me.

I've turned this scenario over and over in my mind for a couple of years. I was a fervent believer in personal freedom at any cost. My conclusion is that it isn't healthy to become obsessed with firearms and "do unto them before they do unto you" thinking, in fact it is a major contrbuting cause to the escalation of anger and violence. I refuse to jump on any more propagandist bandwagons regardless of which side they circle at. I know Government could care less about me- that is obvious and does not need anyone's blank endorsement on the WWW. But that doesn't mean I need to jump on another bandwagon by default. Doesn't it occur to anyone that either/or sides only want to control arguments? to control another's actions? They have no real basis since there are always more than two sides. Hmm, let's see NWO or Furholler, hmmmm :rolleyes:

So I guess no one has any chipping information they would like to share?

9. furholler

Naw, no info here. I wasn't really seeking you to jump on any "bandwagon", I just hate to see people sell out. See, by not joining this particular "bandwagon", you've jumped on the one with all the other people that think like you. That's your choice, I'm just a dumb hillbilly. :shrug:

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

You are not a dumb hillbilly and suspect you know that. I heartily disagree that not going with one side means I endorse the other. And I know I am not alone, there must be a growing current of us disillusioned with the forged choices given us, it's like life at a convention- if you're not Democrat you're Republican - neither is a real choice anymore. When the time comes, when it is here on my land, I will deal with it in the best way I can at that time for my own situation. When NAIS arrives, there are already other choices and options and my writing has completely gone to those in hopes others will realize how much power we have when we take our own destinies into our own hands. Remember the line from the Rolling Stones, "lose your dreams and you will lose your mind..." I am not losing my dreams.

I appreciate the discussion and hope the thread isn't moved to gc.

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

From what Ive learned the AVID chip seems to be the most popular. You dont need a Vet to do it if you can give a shot yourself, but Im not sure as to the best location on cattle. Ive read that on goats theyve done it near the ear but with variable results

12. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Marcia, you are so right about much of what you said, but for one notion: those who do bear arms for personal protection/self-defense alone are not among those of whom you speak. Where you live, many folks there understand the trespass laws...I was once shot at for that very thing in 1961 with my first husband in North Carolina...they do where I live, too, and this, here, is dangerous four-legged critter country, so, often folks carry heat anyway...not us personally, but it's loaded beside the bed. Just go to the Clearwater Progress website to read a story by Scott Richards, former hunting guide of some thirty years time, that's still posted there about how he recently lost his $2000+ cougar-hunting dogs to INTRODUCED Canada Gray wolves. [It's at the bottom of the first page.]

http://www.clearwaterprogress.com/

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Bearfootfarm. Avid is what I chipped my dog with.
    JulieLou42, I do own firearms and keep a loaded rifle by my bed in case the meth boys ever saw fit to harm me. I would shoot to kill within my legal rights. Its the talk about independent people armed to defendt their places against the "feds," and the "NAIS," that I meant. Sometimes I hear that undertone to these type of arguments and that's what I don't think is healthy. Thank you for the link. I'll head over to read :)