When should I spray my fruit trees and with what?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Mar 20, 2005.

1. This should be my 3rd year for fruit off my oldest apple tree but the last two years they were very wormy. I should have a second apple tree ready to start fruiting also. I have no ideal when and what to spray them with so can some of you veterans help me out? It will be very much appreciated.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You should be able to find a fruit tree spray at your local feed store. If you want to stay organic Gardens Alive! has some very good organic sprays. You want to spray them at least once when the buds begin to swell. Then don't spray while they're in bloom. If you do you will kill or discourage the bees and hurt your pollination. Then follow the instructions on the spray as to frequency of spray during the season.

3. CorbyWolf13

CorbyWolf13 New Member

Do you mind if I jump in here? Hi, my name is Wolf and I grew up in NE Okla. R. H. my dad planted fruit trees and the first year that any of them produced fruit the fruit came out wormy, so my grandfather suggested that my dad take moth balls and bury them 3 to 5 feet from the trunk. Dad did this and didn't have any more problems with worms or any other insects.
    Another thing you might consider using is mixing marigold and calendula flowers and steep them in warm water for at least 6 hours. Use the mix to spray on your trees. It's all natural and it's good for keeping webworms out of the trees as well.
    Wolf

4. Thanks for the replies. I'll try the moth balls as well as spraying also. Just to be double sure. RH.