When should I contact a goat breeder?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RedTartan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I've decided that I'd like to get 1 purebred and papered Nubian doe and her doeling in the spring.

When should I contact a breeder to make my request? I presume a breeder would like to know in advance that there is someone interested in the above set. When would you want to know? :shrug:

Thanks,
    :)RedTartan

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

congratulation on your decision to buy a registered nubian. now you have to look around what type you like. look at breeders websites, visit some and talk to lots of them. if you find the person you trust and who breeds the type of animal you like you can make your reservation as early as possible to get you a good place in line.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, now is the time to contact breeders about getting milking does and kids. I want to know now so I know how to plan....same goes for dry bred does or bred milking does. Let them know now!! :)

4. RedTartan

Ok, thanks guys. :)

RedTartan

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Is there some specific reason you want a milker and daughter? Why not a milker and unrelated doe kid? I agree, start shopping around now.

6. RedTartan

It doesn't have to be her daughter. They can be unrelated. With so many breeders practicing CAE prevention, even if the doeling were her daughter she'd likely not be nursing...

I sent off an email to a local breeder last night. I'm anxiously awaiting a reply :)

:) RedTartan