Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the pole beans grow higher than the support, 5 to 6 ft tall, what do you folks do? Snip them off? Make the support higher. I've got Helda and Kentucky Wonder that went up and now are entangled among themselves. Too late for this year but maybe help out next year.

U

·
0 Posts
Let them run. Pinching off pole bean tips would defeat the purpose of running beans. It's in the DNA of the bean to grow until it's through growing, then put out beans until it's through putting out. Trying to change that plan would be futile. I never have done anything except plant them, and when it's time, I'll pick them. Occasionally one might run up a tree, or something, but usually they'll run along the fence in a huge mass and put out prodigiously.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! I really like pole beans for the long picking time. And not having to bend over so much. I have grown asparagus beans in zone 7 and those will go 20 ft. or more. Up north it just takes too long to get them to bearing stage before cold weather sets in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts