When Mama's Sick...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Peacock, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I don't get sick very often, knock on wood. But every now and then I do get a doozy of a cold.

Like now.

Actually, I'm on the mend, or else I'd be in bed right now, which is what I did the past two nights. My preferred way of dealing with such things is to just let everything else slide and get as much rest as possible. I figure that way my body will fight off the illness and I'll be better quicker. Besides, it's just more pleasant - or shall I say less miserable?

I held the same philosophy even when I was working FT in an office. Come on -- nobody is so invaluable to his employer that he can't afford to miss a day or two. And if you really need the hourly wage to get by, consider how much worse off you'll be if you end up with pneumonia and miss a week or more and maybe even have a hospital bill? It actually made me angry that people would come in with horrible colds just to prove they were "tough" or had this tremendous work ethic -- and ended up making everybody else sick too.

My DH, OTOH, is one of THOSE people. He has only called in sick twice in the last ten years -- once when he had a particularly violent tummy bug, and once when he had a kidney stone attack. Does he ever get sick? Of course. But they NEED him. :rolleyes: Not only will he not call in sick, he will not take any cold medicine. He thinks you get better quicker if you don't "mask" your symptoms. :shrug:

What can I say...he's a stubborn German.

Unfortunately, that means that when I'm sick and doing my thing...or shall I say, NOT doing anything...he's somewhat less than sympathetic. I could have a fever of 103 and be coughing up a lung, and his comment at dinner will be "gosh, I hope we don't catch your cold 'cause you coughed while cooking our pork chops." and "Hey hon, why don't you sit and rest a little while before you do the dishes and put away that laundry, okay?"

Okay...I am exaggerating, but only a little. But when Mama's sick, Mama doesn't get to call in sick. Nobody gets Mama a cold cloth for the head and a glass of OJ. Mama still has to drive the kids to sports practices and scouts and go grocery shopping.

AND I might add that I have two clients anxiously waiting for me to produce work for them...and they couldn't care less that I'm barely able to talk between coughing jags, despite the fact that both jobs require phone conversations. :baby04:

But I'm not bitter or anything... :p

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    You're making me wanna thwap your husband!

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Tell the hubby, I didn't use much sick leave, and lost 350+ hours of accrued sick leave hours when laid off, they don't pay for that...... so much for loyalty. They got by without me. The trick is not to be sick more than 40 hours in one review year..... without explanation for more than 3 days....

And mom's never have a sick leave policy. I remember having strep and two very young children and laying on the sofa watching them cause that's all the energy I had...

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Angie

4. Melissa

Melissa member

When I am sick I still do everything I normally do, just slower! If Cale is sick he does not even get out of bed.

5. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Thats how it's here too, if i'm sick i get up and do my thing, if DH sick and he doesn't get sick often but when he does get really sick he stays in bed.
    although last month I was really sick, and he did get out early and took DD to the orthodontist that i was very thankful for!!
    My coworker i couldn't believe came to work last friday and she was really sick vomiting!! I wasn't happy at all.. go home nobody wants your bug! geezzzz i hate when people do that, I think it's very rude and inconsiderate!!

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Edayna, stubborn Finns must go hand and hand with stubborn Germans LOL!

Finnish men of my husbands' generation do NOTHING that equals women's work.

When I had Mono rebout, I had to cook/clean/do laundry. He sat in one place complaining of being tired. Uh huh LOL!

I had dental surgery in 2003 and I felt awful. I finally got to sleep and when I woke up, this is what I heard. "Honey, I love you and I hope you get feeling better. By the way, we're out of socks so can you do laundry?" :p Needless to say was I a happy camper the next 3 months we spent in America LOL!

Just take it in stride, and remind them of it when they're ill :D LOL!

Kat