Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've made bread & butter pickles with cukes, yellow summer squash and zucchini. If fact, I'm getting ready to make the squash ones today.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! I'm going to scoot out the door in a bit to get to the Farmers Market for some! Prayers or good thoughts as this is the FIRST time I made any pickles! LOL My poor family! Hopefully they will not suffer through too many failed attempts. LOL :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
It's hard to mess up Bread and Butters.

The difference between regular cukes and pickling cukes is the skin. Regular cukes have a thicker, tougher skin that does not let water pass through as easily as that on pickling cukes. If you try to make dills, they do not turn out as well. On other sweet pickles that are done in chunks, the skins might be chewey. For your B&Bs, if you make really thin slices, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
I use whatever cukes I have and they always turn out delicious. If I have some monster cukes I slice down the middle, take out the seeds and slice thinly and they work just fine. Of course my DH alone can eat a qt. a day of b&b's! And don't forget that the same brine will pickle just about any veggie you have--sometimes I just do onions. DEE

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Good luck with the canning. We are doing tomatoes today.
For bread and butter I use what ever cukes I have and they always turn out great. My favorite pickle.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The pickling cukes are the best, but you can use regular ones. Just so they aren't waxed ones from the store. Fresh ones are fine.
If you want or need preservation help please let me know. I am trained in food preservation/food safety. I work at my local county extension office.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Our whole family just love B&B cukes.
Could somebody please be kind enough to post their recipe for the pickling brine they use? I've just pickled 4 quarts of beetroot, but don't want to use the same recipe.
Does anybody here preserve eggplant, zuchinni, capsicums or button mushrooms in oil?

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
The wax prevents the brine from soaking into the rinds properly. Waxed food will not can well - keep buying from the farmers market.
Joanie

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Lucy said:
If you want or need preservation help please let me know. I am trained in food preservation/food safety. I work at my local county extension office.
Here's a question for you that I posted in Preserving the Harvest but haven't gotten an answer to yet:

I have a recipe that my neighbor gave me for garlic dills. It calls for 6 quarts of water, 2 quarts of apple cider vinegar, and 2 cups of canning salt for the brine. I'm wondering if I can go ahead and make the brine, use what I need, and refrigerate the remainder until I have more cukes, and then reheat it. Or should I just reduce the recipe to half or a quarter. I would ask her but she passed away this past Christmas Day! I remember her saying that she made dills as she had the cukes available. Any ideas??

Can you help?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Lucy said:
Wow, Lucy - a very generous offer! I hope you haven't opened up a can of worms (so to speak!) for yourself :p

I tried to email you & send you a PM, but you don't have them okayed in your profile, so here's another question for you, if you would be so kind

Does the recipe below sound okay, as far as processing time?
I lost my Blue Book (!) so I'm wary of other recipes.
THANKS!!

ZUCCHINI RELISH

12 cups coarsely ground zucchini, unpeeled
5 medium onions
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
5 tablespoons salt
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons celery seeds

Coarsely grind the onions and peppers. Stir in zucchini and salt. Cover and allow to sit for 3 hours. Drain and rinse well.
Combine the remaining ingredients to make a syrup, boiling until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened. Add to vegetables and cook for 20 minutes.

Ladle into hot canning jars, adjust seals. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, my 3 measly quarts are done! LOL
Lucy, your gonna regret telling us your the expert in the field!!! I have a question. Dh ask me if I could make my next batch (tomorrow!) of B&B pickles peeled, he does not like the skin. I thought I saw a recipe that stated to peel them but can't seem to find it. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have tons more cukes to do today. Trying to decide it I try the recipe where it calls for them to be peeled or not. I don't want to waste the cukes.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Michele - I just talked to our local extension agent. I asked about my brine question and she said to reduce the amount of brine rather than trying to store it. I also asked about peeling the cukes for B & B. She said don't do it. B & B are a very soft pickle already and if you peeled them you'd end up with just mush!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cindy, I didn't do it cause I thought the same thing. I told Dh to just eat the middles out of it. LOL :) I personally don't think I could stomach one without the peel on it. Yuck!
I have lots of sliced cukes left so I am going to see if I can make hamburger dills???? Oh and we opened one of the jars from last night and they were DELICIOUS! Now if all my canning experiences would turn out this easy and successful! :)
Pickles and then tomatoes!
God Bless,
Michele

1 - 19 of 19 Posts