When kidding will a doe?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Feb 8, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

When kidding will a doe cut the umbilical cord or do i need to do that, and if so how far from the stomach do i cut it?

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

In all the livestock births that I have seen, the umbilical cord breaks during birth. All that needs doing is some iodine to kill any bacteria on it, and the iodine helps the cord to dry.

3. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

In all the livestock births that I have seen, the umbilical cord breaks during birth. All that needs doing is some iodine to kill any bacteria on it, and the iodine helps the cord to dry.

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I cut them to a small length then hit them with the iodine. Mainly makes them easier to pick up without hitting a long cord

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I use an old medicine bottle and keep some cotton string pieces about 8 inches long soaked in alcohol in there. When the babies are born most of the time the cord "snaps" in two. However, the cord could be excessively long which could drag the ground, get stepped on, etc. In this case, tie a piece of cord around the naval cord about an inch from the belly. Use a pair of sharp scissors that have been washed in hot soapy water and wiped down with alcohol to cut off the excess cord. Use 7% iodine and dip the little cord in the iodine. Try to do that at least twice the first day and then do it again the next day if you can. Whether the cord snaps on its own or you cut it be sure to dip it. The purpose for dipping the naval cord in iodine is to prevent any bacteria from entering through it. There is regular iodine and then there is 7% iodine. the 7% is recommended for this.

6. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I put a little iodine in a film canister, put that over the cord onto the belly and gently turn the kid over so the iodine get's on 'em.. keeps me from getting red :)