When is to early?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hello,
    I was wondering when is it to early to sell lambs? because...
    I e-mailed a lady yesterday, she talked to me as if I didn't know sheep and such but any ways I e-mailed about her Oxford ewes, they are 2 or 3 year old and she wanted $1500 for five. (that is a little steep for us but anyways) so she said that she has some ewe lambs for sale. I said well maybe we would be interested and I asked how old, they were born in March, is this not really early to be selling them away from there moms? She also wanted $150.00 for them, is this reasonable or steep also?

Thanks, Melissa

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

That would depend if it was early march, mid march or late march.
    If they were two months old, it isn't unheard of to wean them early. If they are any younger, I would be tremendously concerned. Maybe she is bottle feeding them now. Did you think to ask or maybe she even told you.

Maybe you could put a deposit on them, ask her to keep them until they are closer to three months for the same price.

I've taken poly chain collars, shortened them and put them on the lambs I want or goat kids for that matter. Also could brush some dark nail polish on the lower legs of the ones you want to let yourself and seller know that those are yours to keep them from getting mixed up with the others.

I do this when I buy my lambs especially if there are alot of the same colors. Since I use my own collars then its a solid agreement. But that's just how it works for us.

You don't want to take them too young, have them miss their mamas and also need to bottle feed them or have them get sick.

Mama

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I intend to wean mine at two months of age. I don't have Oxfords however. I did buy a lamb that was six weeks old once and she did fine. I never saw any signs of distress or weight loss. If they were born in the first part of March I would tell her you can't pick them up until next week to give them that much more time with the ewes. As far as price, it seems steep to me but I don't know a thing about Oxfords. I can get a full grown Katahdin ewe with lamb for $125 with twins $150. It also depends on your area.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Breeds like Oxfords aren't really affected by the export ban to the USA so I'd guess $150 is a fair price, if they are registered. Good stock is almost never expensive and they reproduce fast. I'd prefer to be looking at three month old lambs rather than 2 month olds, and I'd be patient before I even went to look at them.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I don't know about price (except that they seem awfully expensive over there no matter what breed they are) but would have to go with Ross on the age thing. You want to be purchasing a well grown, healthy lamb that is going to do well - and do you well.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Were those prices Canadian dolloars, not US? What's the rate of exchange these days?? That might be part of why they seemed so high too.....

7. Ross

Canadian dollar is worth about 83 cents US

8. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Thanks everyone, We have never had a lamb this young without bottle feeding it or having it on its mom. I know this is stupid but would be letting them out with the others be logical. We have 24 other lambs running around but they all have moms to take care of them?
    I know that may be a stupid question/comment but even though we have had sheep for 10 years this is a new one for us, it is true you learn something new everyday!!
    Melissa

9. Ross

If you're buying in any stock of any age they should be kept in quarenteen for 10 days away from the home flock. Once they are aclimatized and proven healthy (no shipping fever etc.) for the 10 days then of course introduce them, they'll come in for feeding and probably even stay a bit seperate for a while after that.