When is the correct time to spray apple trees?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 17, 2006.

1. My apple trees are just about to finish blooming. When should I spray them to keep worms out of the apples that will be forming?

Thanks for your help.

2. hcheetham

hcheetham Member

You should spray soon and then every ten days. What are you going to spray them with? It should tell you on the spray mix when to apply and how often.

3. That I don't know yet. I need to run to town and find out what is available or affordable! Every 10 days huh? Every ten days throughout the summer or for just a few weeks?

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Throughout the summer. Try to find an organic spray, if possible. If you can't find any locally, Gardens Alive has some good ones, but they are a little pricey.

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We have found that we only need about 5 sprayings a year:

1. Dormant Oil when the leaf buds are ready to open (but before the leaves actually appear).

2. An all-purpose fruit tree spray when the fruit buds start to show color, but before they open or you risk killing the pollinating bees!

3. After the flower petals fall, and before the calyx closes, we hit the trees again with the all-purpose spray.

4. Ten days after that we spray again with the all-purpose.

5. And one more time about four weeks after that.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

That is all summer in Maine, isn't it gilberte? :p

7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter