Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new sow and was told she was 1 1/2 months pregnant. I am new to pigs and don't know what to look for. Her back end seems to be "puffy" but her belly does not seem to be too large. Can some one give me some signs to look for.
Thanks

·
Misty Gonzales
1,027 Posts
gestation is 114 days give or take a few. If she has had multiple litters, her vulva may be pliable and loose naturally. Her udder will fill out and enlarge, Usually if they get milk, you can expect pigs generally in about 12 hours or so. Her vulva will enlarge, she will nest, and when she is done she will get down to business.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
As Misty says, 114 days give or take a couple - or to make it easier to remember 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. So your sow is a long way off if what you were told is correct.

And yes, her udder will enlarge, she will start building a nest out of all sorts of rubbish and finally her vulva will enlarge.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
What a hoot :) Seems like her previous owner wasn't too observant.

The white discharge is quite normal and not to be worried about unless it continues. However I would have expected to see a bit more than a handful of afterbirth, there really should be quite a big dollop of it. Did you actually see the afterbirth come away? Pigs will often eat the afterbirth but will quite often leave a bit.

Lethargy in the first three days or so after farrowing isn't uncommon so don't be too concerned about it at this stage. Leave her fresh food and water though and watch to make sure she is producing milk for the piglets.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts