When is a buck too old for production breeding?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jan in CO, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless I've just missed it, or forgotten in a senior moment, I haven't seen anything about how long a buck can be productive as a breeder? I'm seeing some of my "older" does not having as many kits, or not taking care of thier litters, but do any of you have a timeline as to when you take the bucks out of your production line? Thanks, Jan in Co

2. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

It depends on the bucks, many can sire for several years. Usually by 3 though I replace them. Sure they can sire longer but as the buck gets older unless the doe is real cooperative, they wear themselves chasing her and then don't complete the mating! We do have a 51/2 year old buck that produces us nice litters for the show string so we continue to use him. I just wish his sons would measure up to him (they haven't) we have kept some of his daughters. If I was strictly commercial I wouldn't have let this buck stay. But by 3 I seriously would be looking for a new buck.
    Denise

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a buck that can't do it correctly, so I have no idea if he's any good or not...he likes the other end to the one that produces any kits.

I agree, though, 3 years will be more viral to those that are older, but if you have a proven buck, keep him going until he's shooting blanks.