When I grow I want to be...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I knew what I wanted to be very young. I couldn't decide and had several goals. I have fulfilled then all (librarian, teacher, ctore owner and for now mom & farmer.) The quiverful thread made me ask my kids. I knew one of them, no, two. Here are their responses, and yes we are some of those dreaded christian homeschooling types.

Meg - 11 - Forensic pathologist or Egyptologist (she figures there will be more jobs open for the forensic pathologist)

Mel - 11 - Library science or literature and/or history teacher, librarian would be perfect for her, she loves order and information, hates math. :D

Mandy - 9 - Kindergarten teacher, this week, last week it was checker at safeway. I hope she will become a writer. She is already doing amazing writing & her imagination needs that outlet.

Jon - & - Trucker, his dad says only after he finishes a degree in business so he can OWN the trucking company.

Julie - 4 - Princess of the world. She wants to boss the rest of you around. Or a pony rider.

Our goal, educate them well enough that NO doors are closed to them and support them in what makes them happy and fulfilled. And tell them they WILL get at least 2 years of post-high school training. Non-negotiable.

What do your children want to be, and how are you helping them get there?

2. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for posting this Cheryl. I can breathe again after the quiver full crap!!!

I am at home and just asked by girls the same question. I only got three responses as Isabella is only 3 months old! LOL

Here are their responses......

Emily...age 8 1/2......Doctor.......or maybe a Veterinarian.

Elizabeth....age 6....Chemist, so I can make stuff from other stuff.......

Victoria......age 2 1/2..........Pooh Bear!!!! (She was holding a Pooh book when I asked)

Thanks, Ray

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

One is in Medical School and plans to be an Orthepedic Surgeon. Another is attending Vet School.

And Dad wants a new Caddy every year fer Christmas.....or at least ties that match the suits I have. :p

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Do I have to grow up to be what I want?

I've already been many things... Factory worker (didn't like it, but the money was good); vet tech (loved it, but the money wasn't great); wife, mother (long hours, poor pay, great benefits for the most part); receptionist; clerk; flower shop/nursery worker; school teacher; school social worker; behavioral health counselor; psychotherapist; gardener; home maker...

But I still don't know what I want to be When I Grow Up. I guess I'll know when I get there, but life's too short to lock myself in to just one thing.

Next stop: Truck farmer?

No matter what I DO, I will always BE a child of God and a servant of my Lord Jesus Christ. :)

Pony!

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

My kids are very much aware of what they want to do with their lives, and have been for some time.

Joey, 13, has wanted to go into computer science for years, but only in the past year has fine-tuned that -- he wants to be a game developer. He enters high school next year (8th grade now) and we are looking at his options for getting the prerequisites he needs to pursue this. Computer science, the sciences and math, language arts (communicating what you know is as important as WHAT you know) and art (he doesn't want to DO the art, but wants to be able to describe to the graphic artist what it is he's looking for, and will be able to do that easier if he has a basis to work from). We are looking at an online program as a possibility, but will home educate him, giving him time to work on his interests independently. He wants to have a portfolio to wow the university admission officials with when the time comes.

Michael, 11, has always said he wants to be a baker, and open a bakery. He's amazing at this, and it plays perfectly with this VERY tactile person. He has always gone by "feel" and a bakery would be perfect for him, allowing him creative outlet in an environment that caters to change. He's still in 6th grade, so we've not "streamlined" his education yet, he's still learning a broad range of subjects, but I highly doubt he'll change his mind -- he's been saying this for years.

We've always told them that our home will always be their home, and so long as they're doing something, pursuing some goal, we'll do everything we can to help them. They're amazing kids, and I intend to give them every opportunity to realize their dreams.

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

My daughter, age 10, has said for years she wants to be a veterinarian. She's modified it recently to consider zookeeper instead. Personally I have my doubts...she won't even scoop the litter box. ;)

My son, age 8, has chosen either "cartoonist" or "engineer." And he doesn't mean a train engineer. He means he wants to design stuff. He's very creative!

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When I was a kid I always said what I thought the adults wanted to hear. What I really wanted was to be a Mom and a Farmer, but I was sure that was the wrong answer.

8. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

I never knew what I wanted to be "when I grew up" I still don't think I have decided, lol.

My 9yo says he doesn't know, but thinks he wants to go to college.

My 8 yo has known for a while that she want's to 1, be a rock star 2, be a Doctor 3, be an artist. We have it all planned out, rock star to get rich and pay for med school, artist when she retires :)

My 6 yo wants join the Army.

My 4 yo is going to live with me and Daddy, and help us.

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Abby's always said she wanted to be a horse when she grew up, lol! She's thinking about becoming a farrier, or maybe an author/illustrator. She'd be good at any of those. She's been trimming the horse's hooves (as well as donkey and goats) for a while now, and she writes really inventive, descriptive stories with ink line drawings. My goal is to have her educated well enough to enter the career field of her choice, what ever it turns out to be.

10. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    I started out thinking I wanted to be a vet. Then I got the college prep math and found out that I should have paid more attention in grade school. I guess I should have just buckled down, but I didn't. I then thought real hard about what I wanted to be......................... I told my step father that I wanted to be a farmer....Holy Cow he had a fit ... laughing at me and telling me I was crazy then turning stern about it.... I was crushed to say the least.

I decided after that to become a butcher. I would still be around animals .. at least for a little while! I did that job for just short of 20 years...all the while raising my own animals and a large garden.

In 1992 I purchased this farm. I am still working an off farm job to pay for it, but I am farming. I use draft horses and do many things the old way. It pleases me to shock corn, plow and cultivate with horses, rake hay with a team and raise all kinds of livestock. Today and for the next several weeks I am picking corn ... by hand. The job isn't a big one, but the weather and my job keep cutting in to my corn picking time!

In my heart I am a farmer...I do work another job to help out, but one day my vocation will be right here on my farm... I can hardly wait for the day.

As for my step dad ... he is still working at the same dead end job, unhappy as can be ... I on the other hand can't wait to get home to my farm.

I think he should have pointed out his reservations on farming, then tried to guide me towards some other job in agriculture... laughing at me only made me more determined to prove him wrong... It was easy ... my heart is in farming. When my hands are busy doing just that..my heart and soul are soaring!

Help your youngsters find their true calling... life is so short...being happy makes one rich beyond measure........

11. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I was making coaster wagons at 7, changing motors in cars at 13. I didn't have to wait until I grew up. I have been a mechanic all my life. I will retire from owning my own mechanical business in 2007.

12. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

well dd age 17 almost 18 is already in her chosen career. She just became a USAG certified junior coach. In January she'll become a full coach. She's in her senior year at home, taking 2 classes at the local community college, doing her gymnastics, and working. She is determined to go to college and get a degree of some type. DD #2 age 15 will be teaching riding lessons come April. She's not sure what she wants to be yet. she would be great as a nurse or a vet though I think. She definitely has the touch.Next dd is only 10 and the last time she said anything she wanted to be a farmer and have all kinds of animals. The other kids are still way too young to really even care yet....they're still being kids! Edited to add oldest ds says he wants to race motorcycles!

13. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

When I grow up, I want to be grown-up.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Well, being childfree, I cannot really answer your question. However, I will say that when I was a young child I wanted to be an archaeologist. As I got older people would CONSTANTLY say.... "You'll never make any money doing that" or "Archaeology is a dirty profession" or something similarly discouraging. Nobody ever said ANYTHING positive, encouraging, uplifting (of course a lot of that was due to my family, which is another story).

Consequently, I gave up my dream and although I am very happy with my life now, and do not regret any of my choices, there had been times in my life when I regretted NOT becoming the archaeologist I wanted to be.

I guess the moral of the story is, no matter how insane a child's dream is, please do NOT discourage them. It is such a heart breaking thing to have your dreams shattered by the negative comments and thoughts of others.

donsgal

15. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

DS age 5 is keeping his options open. He wants to be a scientist, an astronaut, and the man who drives the street sweeper truck.

All honorable professions.

Nikki

16. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Julie - 4 - Princess of the world. She wants to boss the rest of you around. Or a pony rider.

lol!!

My DD - age 9 - has wanted to be an artist since she was 4. That has never changed. She still wants to be an artist.

When I was little, I wanted to be a vet, or a police officer. Then when I found out I'd have to carry a gun, and deal with bad people, I changed my mind. (thought it was only "helping" people before that).

I'm 43, and I'm still not sure what I want to be when i grow up - but I'm a farmer at heart.

Every job I've ever had has had nothing whatsoever to do with every other job I've had. Waitress, Art Class Model, Driving Instructor, Seamstress, Chime Maker, Engineer at a Video Production Company, Psychiatric practice manager, and now, I work at a nursery (the plant kind, not the child kind).

17. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a pirate when I grew up. I got the parrot and the eye patch but decided to wait on the peg leg and hook. Maybe someday, at least that is something to look forward to.

18. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

You sound like me Cyngbaeld. I am a youngin by your guys standards but what I want to do when I "grow up" is be a wife, mom, and farmer :p . I have always wanted to be a mom though..even at a young age. LOL...that IMHO is the best job anybody can ever be or have :) (yes I have been arounds LOTS of kids and babysat for long times...even though it is very different to have kids of your own).

MC

19. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was young I wanted to be a marine biologist, working with manatees. Then I wanted to be a speach pathologist, but my folks pretty much squashed my dreams and kept me close to home. I try very hard to encourage my kids to reach as far as they can and I feel that the best way to do that is through education.

Devon 16, has changed her mind a couple of times, but she feels led to work with children with special needs. She has a unique gift for being completely at ease with these wonderful children. She thinks she wants to be an audiologist or a speech therapist that works spacifically with lower income children because she says that they tend to get overlooked.

Johnnie 14, wants to own his own resturant and be a chef. He also aspires to be the next Alton Brown! LOL. J has his college allready picked out because they have a resturant management class.

Bailey 10, realy only wants to be a gymnast. I told her that she has lots of time to figure out what she wants, but that gymnastics could take her to college and she could have the world from there. Of course, being her mom I dream of the Olympics...but only time will tell on that! LOL

I think that once my kids are grown and gone I may go to college or study natural remedies from one of those at home degree schools of natural health. Interesting thread!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

20. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO GROW UP?!? :Bawling:

Says who? :p