When I Don't Want to Work, I Mow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

What do you do?
    Mowing is relaxing in a way. I have a 23 hp garden tractor that makes mowing our acreage, if not a breeze, at least a pleasant past time. When I have work, meaning harder work, that I would rather procrastinate on, I simply hop on the garden tractor and mow for an hour or two. There is always something to mow. In the end it is a productive waste of time. What do you do when you don't want to work.

2. charles

charles Well-Known Member

The same plus bushhogging - that's the old school procrastination when I don't want to work or when I want to clear my head.

Modern prorastination that kills time but doesn't clear the head: I spend time reading all posts and telling myself I'm becoming more informed.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I stand on the front porch staring at the partially torn down goat barn and knotting my brow, so that passer-bys think I'm cogitating on how best to tear the barn down. Or I go out back and stare at the tomatoes.

:D

I can't get out of work by mowing because i don't mow with a tractor. :waa:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I lap quilt, or surf the net for info sites on whatever I'm currently curious about, or sit with a cat on my lap and listen to music and cogtitate on the deep mysteries of the universe and why over unity is not possible.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I went and stood on the front porch a little while ago, staring at the partially torn down goat barn so that I might look like at least I was thinking about doing something ... and a neighbor came by, slammed on the brakes and yelled at me to get inside, it's hot out there!

:)

Cyngbaeld, I admire your ability to think about the mysteries of the universe.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

:haha: Charles, why 'd you say anything??? I was convincing myself too :)

CG, I have a partially torn down pig pen that I've been working on for two months :) I would stand there more often but the red ants are on the warpath down that way :eek: It wouldn't do me any good to look at it anyway- the road is not well travelled (I live on that other one that's just as fair :) ) nobody would be seeing me thinking. You have to get a tractor and procrastinate- it is a whole 'nother dimension to not working :)

Cyngbaeld, that mysteries thing is always running in my head. When I'm asleep I'm at lectures about the origin of the universe and how humanity is evolving. I think mowing shuts the channels down for a little while and lets me recharge :)

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I will knit, if I am at home--when I am at the farm, I ususally mow the orchard and work my honey bees (no one will bother me when I am doing these two things!! :haha: It is very calming to working the bees because I use slow movements, concentrate on my breathing (keeping it nice and slow) and watch the bees move around doing the different "dances" they do JUST for me :rolleyes:...

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, it's this way; (a hem), if it weren't for the laws of thermodynamics and if the universe did not tend toward entropy, your barns would not be falling down, and I would not need to go wash the dishes. Let me tell you, no body understands the law of entropy better than a mother (unless it's a homesteader).

9. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

I go out and sit in the chicken coop and visit with the girls.

Karen in NE Indiana

10. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I'm with the mowers, DH with the bushhogging.
    Nobody can say you're not contributing, and nobody interrupts you unless it is really worthwhile.

11. I count my chickens(already hatched) and blessings(many) and then sit back and "plan".

Deberosa

12. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

In the summer time I mow and in the winter time I cut firewood. These are my bestest and favoritest jobs!

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't really like to mow or chop firewood. I don't Really like to work!I'd much rather sit in front of the AC & watch the grass grow, or sit in front of a nice fire & read a book.The problem is, my kids are grown & moved away, my wife won't do all of it anymore, so I have to do it. Darn! Maybe the grandkids will grow up in a few years!

14. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I pull out my net scoop and rake the lake or get the hose and hand water- very Zen- nothing visually accomplished, just the action....

15. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I write. Sometimes, I exercise--take a walk or lift weights.

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............During this HOT time of the year , if I'm Not working , I don't really worry about mowing because the Heat will usually remove most excess moisture from the soil before the grass can convert it into any significant growth . When I really get frustrated I access a real estate website that has listings in Wyoming that I might be interested in when I get ready to move....But, i also know it's goint to take several more months before everything comes together for Me. I'm also trying to reassemble an old 77 f250 ford truck that i've been restoring for the last 3 years . I had to remove a front quarter panel and the Hood so Now I have to reassemble and reattach with the bolts and realign and get the Hood and both doors to work in an acceptable fashion....I feel like a 2 foot tall Midget on his Honeymoon with a Sumo Wrestler Wife who weighs 400 pounds in the Honeymoon suite......I know what I'm supposed to be "doing" but somehow I can't seem to deal with ALL the Surface Area that is available for my vicarious stimulation but the Square Footage has completely overwhelmed my computer.......fordy...... :eek: :)

17. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

There are things to do other than work? :eek: :confused: :eek:

I practice martial arts, play with the kids, play with the animals, play with cars (I am restoring a 48 Plymouth (if the engine wasn't locked up I tell ya :rolleyes: ) and always working on a semi late model dirt car), sit on the front porch and drive the neighbors down the road mad with my guitar, hunt (in season), and FISH. Everything else I think is work.